The Sewing Place

Hi! From Portsmouth

Cheesenpickles

Hi! From Portsmouth
« on: February 19, 2019, 18:59:52 PM »
Heya,

I’m a very novice sewer. I used to see with my mum as a kid and had my own kids Chad Valley machine.

It fell by the wayside and then after my mum died I inherited her machine. I’ve had a few attempts and really want to make a good go of it.

I’ve just finished my first dress, a Tilly pattern and it was a  learning curve but I got through. I’m really looking forward to just finding out more and practicing more. Maybe one day I’ll even wear something out of the house haha!

Efemera

Re: Hi! From Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 19:04:37 PM »
Hello there...

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 19:09:08 PM »
Welcome. I inherited my mum-in-law's machine about four years ago, just in time as the v basic modern Singer I'd bought from Argos had started to creak! At first I was terrified to use it, it had a push pad with all manner of options but now I wouldn't want to be parted from it  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 19:09:45 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 19:15:34 PM »
Hi, @Cheesenpickles .  Welcome.   :drink:  Would love to see a pic of your dress.

Cheesenpickles

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 20:45:25 PM »
Not the best lighting and I hadn’t hemmed or pressed it yet, but it looks like a dress so I’m made up.

I made LOADS of mistakes as well but definitely learned from them and hopefully won’t make them next time. I think I’m going to try and sign up for some classes to get a bit more direction in.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 22:40:28 PM »
Welcome Cheesenpickles.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 22:48:18 PM »

I made LOADS of mistakes as well but definitely learned from them and hopefully won’t make them next time.
That's exactly what the judges said about the contestant who went out of GBSB tonight - she will have learnt lots from the mistakes she made!

We all make mistakes, it's just that with experience you learn how to rescue things  ;)  or sometimes what is not rescuable  :'( .
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 22:56:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I’m sure you’ll find lots of help here.
I’m originally from Portsmouth myself. 

fajita

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 23:12:03 PM »
Welcome, @Cheesenpickles  :flower: :drink:

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 04:10:02 AM »
Hello, @Cheesenpickles  and welcome from me, too  :toast: !  There are lots of experienced sew-ers here who are very generous with their help, so ask away!  And congratulations on making your first dress!

Bowerbird

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »
Hi @Cheesenpickles  and welcome. How wonderful to be able to use your Mum's machine, and everytime you use it you will remember her.

Lost of folk here to listen, encourage, and offer suggestions, don't hesitate to ask.  :drink: :cake:

Cheesenpickles

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
Thanks so much everybody! I thought that when i was watching last night as well!

@Ohsewsimple yay! I’m in Copnor. I’m not from Pompey originally but my husband is. It’s a fab city. Lots of very creative people.  :snip:

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:47 AM »
A big welcome from me too!  You will get lots of encouragement here!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 14:46:28 PM »
@Cheesenpickles well, I’m Pompey born and bred. And it's interesting cos DH is from Southampton.   :)
I grew up in Copnor, spending the first 8 years of my life in Seafield Road.  Sueco sewing machine repairs workshop is on the corner.  Then moved to Monckton Road opposite College Park where I stayed till I got married first time round and moved out out of the area.  Seems such a busy place nowadays compared to when I was there.