The Sewing Place

Thread spools, and upright vs horizontal pins

SingingSinger

Thread spools, and upright vs horizontal pins
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
This youtube video was posted on the Vintage Bernina facebook group:

Thread Therapy with Dr Bob: Thread delivery system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO5K6AA2sY

I'd never considered that a standardly wound reel of thread would twist coming off a horizontal spool pin, but it makes sense. Is this a real problem?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

Re: Thread spools, and upright vs horizontal pins
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
It's something that I have been aware of for a long time in relation to how lacemaking bobbins are wound, but I think that with sewing machines the problem lies more with the parallel wound reels than with the cross wound spools.

Old machines generally only have upright pins which are best suited to parallel wound reels (Sylko etc) which was by far and away the most common form until a few decades ago. 

Nowadays most machines have horizontal pins, though some have a second vertical pin too.  Most reels of thread now are cross wound which ideally suits those horizontal pins,  but I've never had a problem using cross wound on my  :vintage:  201 with the vertical pin.  One twist per revolution isn't a huge amount if the thread is well spun. 

My thinking is that cross-wound will come off easier when sewing at speed.  If you have a parallel wind reel on a horizontal pin you need to keep the speed down a bit.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 00:40:49 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 13:25:56 PM »
Strangely enough I was going to post a thread about how to position the differently wound threads.  This explains it all perfectly.  Thank you.  :)  :thread:
Willing but not always able :)

arrow

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 14:57:22 PM »
I have tried this but can't make complete sense of the theory. I still can get into twisted upper thread wether it's vertical or horizontally place. My old Bernina has a large spool pin in the back, for larger cones. I should try this out again. I have a horizontal clip-on pin for my 201, it helps a lot, but I still wounds from the side of the spool. Gütermann has almost all their spools of thead cross wounded, Mettler too, and I haven't seen any advice from them.