The Sewing Place

Button boxes

ajuga

Button boxes
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
Do you all have button boxes/tins. I now have two as have so many button but I can always find what I need without having to buy more.

Francesca

Re: Button boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
Mine looks like this, it's full to the brim!

maliw

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
I've got two - my mum's and one that I started years ago. Funny though I never have what I need and have to go and buy new buttons. Some of the buttons in mum's box do bring back memories of clothes worn years ago.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
In a rare fit of organization I sorted my buttons into colours. It does make things easier to find but somehow the separate boxes don't have the same allure.

Fran I love your tin, but buttons should really be stored in a 1930s biscuit tin with a wonky lid.

Why did I find it necessary to keep said tins after I had sorted all the buttons? ;)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
DD sorted all my buttons a few years ago, and mine are kept neatly(?) in a drawer.  However, as my button stash has grown, I've begun to keep some of them in the empty face cream jars which I use for weights. 

I have to say, I don't miss rooting through the old tins, but like you EB, I kept the tins.... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 13:00:04 PM »
Mine are sorted by size and colour and placed in plastic bags. These bags are inside a sewing box. I don't have many buttons ( you won't be amazed to know  :D ) but some are very pretty  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 14:38:59 PM »
Ughhh... the thought of a button box brings me out in a cold sweat!

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 15:43:05 PM »
Lowena, I hope you have something in mind for those buttons or we will have to categorize them as 'stash' :ninja: ;)

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 15:45:37 PM »
Wash your mouth out Ella  :devil:  :D
They adorn cushions and are used as eyes for soft toys ( not used by children )  :angel:

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 16:01:56 PM »
I only have a very small button box but the collection is growing.  Things I have made over the years have either gone to charity shops or are still hanging in the wardrobe so not many buttons get recycled.
I wish I had my grandmother's button box.  It was a huge cardboard box, full to the brim.
Life's too short for ironing.

SingingSinger

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 16:45:47 PM »

Fran I love your tin, but buttons should really be stored in a 1930s biscuit tin with a wonky lid.

I think they not only have to be 1930s biscuit tins, but also tartan shortbread tins. ;) The hours I spent sorting through my Nanna's button tin as a child!  0_0
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Missie

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 17:16:48 PM »
I have 2 - one for coloured buttons and one for white buttons, both pinched from my mother.  I have some real old buttons in there and have used some of them.  I loved rummaging through the button box when I was little.  My kids never found the joy in that though  ><

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 17:59:00 PM »
How can anyone NOT have a button tin?
And how many of you still have a supply of your children's name tapes in your tins??  I can't just throw them away...

Madame Cholet

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 18:14:42 PM »

......And how many of you still have a supply of your children's name tapes in your tins??  I can't just throw them away...

I still have a few of my daughter's name tapes in my sewing box and she is 29 this year  <3

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 18:18:07 PM »
Neither my children nor my grandchildren have ever had to have name tapes  -< for anything  -<