The Sewing Place

Button boxes

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Button boxes
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 18:30:03 PM »
I still have a few of my daughter's name tapes in my sewing box and she is 29 this year  <3
Mine are 35 and 33.  :[

Missie

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 18:36:30 PM »
And how many of you still have a supply of your children's name tapes in your tins??  I can't just throw them away...

I have a bit of catching up to do, but yes I still have name tapes for my eldest who is 20 this year (*and I'm whispering that really cos I am far too young to have a 20 year old, aren't I?  :D )

Vegegrow

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 21:10:54 PM »
Ahhh ....Cash's name tapes... Mine... well my Mothers had all our initial's  JC  PD JM then our surname so they could be folded up to form the correct name... :D  :thread:
I only had one DD so it wasn't a problem
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 21:41:12 PM »
Neither my children nor my grandchildren have ever had to have name tapes  -< for anything  -<
So did you hand embroider their names inside school uniforms? :|
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 21:43:16 PM »
I don't have a button tin, my buttons are colour sorted and live in a set of clear plastic drawers from B&Q -  with a Ferrero Rocher box holding the excess white shirt buttons and a huge batch of black buttons I acquired somewhere or other.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 22:05:06 PM »
My button box is the same as Francesca's.

It is barely a third full, if that.

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
So did you hand embroider their names inside school uniforms? :|

None of them, now aged 43,41, 16,12,10 and 8 have ever been to any school which has required names in uniform ( although they all had/ have strict uniform codes )   -<
Likewise sporting / gym/dance clubs have never requested it either, even when on tours.
Never had any problems with lost ( or extra ) clothing items......perhaps they're just organised from an early age  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

ajuga

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 16:07:21 PM »
Yes, the Cash name tapes. I'm sure there are odd ones in one of my button tins - can't throw them away. Just remembered I also have a third button tin just with white shirt buttons (not sure why) but just can't throw away a button!

I used to love going through my Mum's button tin and remember in particular some buttons which looked like oblong fried eggs. Must ask her if she still has her button tin.

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 18:38:17 PM »
I have a middle-sized Really Useful Box for my buttons.  Inside it, they are bagged by colour.  Press studs and hooks get another bag, eyelets another, and frog fastenings another.  The lid is starting to strain, yet I never have the right buttons for a job.  Fortunately, I can nip into Brum easily enough to stock up on goodies from the market...and there are plenty of suppliers online too.

I dodged buttons for years as none of my machines ever made a nice buttonhole...but now I have my vibtage Singer one, happiness is ever at hand!
C'est moi!

crooknees

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
I am very happy to say that I own literally thousands of buttons  :D Most of them were inherited from Mum, Grannies and elderly friends. They are now strung as sets and stored by colour, in large glass kitchen storage jars. My grandchildren helped with the stringing and sorting and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Among the whites are many bone and pearl buttons from great grannies time. I remember them on my childhood dresses and used them on my own DDs. clothes. Now they are much in demand by DGDs. Buttons can hold so many memories and can make or break an item of clothing.
Eldest DGD (13) calls them little treasures and I believe she is right. :)

Holly Berry

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 12:59:03 PM »
Ahhh ....Cash's name tapes... Mine... well my Mothers had all our initial's  JC  PD JM then our surname so they could be folded up to form the correct name... :D  :thread:
I only had one DD so it wasn't a problem

I inherited my Mum's sewing cabinet, and they were in one of the drawers with mine and my brothers initials on, so she could fold them as required. They are still as white and bright as the day they were bought and they must be 50 years old.

I do have a button box, sorted in colours.
Procrastination get behind me

Lantana

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 16:30:49 PM »
Yes I used to love sorting through my Mum's and grannie's button tins. Not sure what happened to the actual tins but some of the buttons are in my possession and still get a look through from time to time. It's amazing what memories a button can evoke .... that cardigan mum knitted that I so loved because of the 'sooty' buttons and coming across one of the bigger buttons I'm way back doing it up on my coat on the way to Sunday school!

My accumulations of buttons are in an 'SMA Gold' baby milk tin which in itself is so special. It may not have the kudos of an antique biscuit tin but how pleased I was to be  buying it as after numerous miscarriages and still births I was lucky enough to adopt a baby. We'd told the agency that we were prepared to take an older child so it was a big surprise to be handed a seven day old baby  :)  Buying that tin was momentous indeed  <3

And yes in another draw are the left over name tags .... both sons and mine!  (In actual fact very few of them ever got sewn on  0_0.  In case you are wondering Lowena I've kept them as one of these days I might incorporate them into an arty farty crazy quilt or something together with photos printed on fabric. ie the same reason I keep all the scraps!!

L :vintage:

Mama likes to make

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 17:12:04 PM »
Lantana what a special tin  <3
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

SingingSinger

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 18:40:11 PM »
I was looking in Waterstones for something to read and picked up this book as I liked the cover. It's called "The Button Box: The Story of Women in the 20th Century Told Through the Clothes They Wore" and I'm enjoying it. Anyone else read it? :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018WYGLY4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

ajuga

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
When I was in Sydney a few years ago I came across a button shop - just selling buttons in all shapes, sizes, colours. Spent a while in there.  :)