The Sewing Place

Smallest fabric samples?

ClareInStitches

Smallest fabric samples?
« on: February 21, 2019, 19:32:18 PM »
I paid Caboodle Textiles £1. to send me two samples, so that I could get an idea of the scale of the print and the quality of the fabric. They arrived today.

One was 5.5cm x 2cm, the other 2.5cm x 6cm. By my reckoning, pretty mean and not particularly representative of the whole! 

I realise that cutting samples takes time, effort, postage and packing and reduces the amount of stock they have available for sale. However, I paid them for these and even at £13.50 per metre x 150 cm wide, I think that they could have spared me just a little bit more! 

Has anyone received samples smaller that this?

Acorn

Re: Smallest fabric samples?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 19:43:12 PM »
That is ridiculous!  I have had ones that I felt were too small, but never that small.  I have also had samples that showed only the background and nothing at all of the pattern.  A lot of retailers don't seem to realise that in sending samples they ought to be trying their best to sell the fabric - and a tiny/inadequate sample will never do that.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 19:50:29 PM »
I never got samples, even if I offered to pay for them. I just got the answer, if I want the fabric, I can buy a fatquarter.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 17:25:49 PM »
Much happier now; I contacted Caboodle with my concerns and they have sent replacements which are each about 10.cm x 4.5cm. Much more practical pieces, given the scale of the print.

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 18:13:44 PM »
I`ve just had an email from Croft Mill listing some of their new jerseys - both of the ones I clicked on said "Short of stock so no samples available".  Sorry but I`m not going to spend £12 a metre without being sure I like it!

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 19:18:06 PM »
I've had similar sized samples of plain lycra in the past and positively slivers  from Trim-it a couple of years ago. They didn't charge but I wished they had & sent a better size.

I expect to pay 99p per sample although a few places will reduce the postage on multisamples and there are still some places doing free samples.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.