The Sewing Place

Now I know why I never touch my machine

Stitches

Re: Now I know why I never touch my machine
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
Lowena  you can take your machine to Wroxham for Steve to pick up.which is only 8 miles from us

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
Sorted out the bobbin winding, and the stitch length for piecing  :)
No it's making tight stitches and puckering / tangling the thread at the back  :angry:
I'm hating it :angry:
I bought new, very expensive thread ( Superior ) and new, very expensive needles ( Superior ) to go with my newly serviced machine ( my machine won't tolerate Guttermans )
I'm thinking of selling my stuff and giving up altogether  :'( I hate it all  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

justpottering

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Noooo you can’t give up

I often find when a machine gets fiddled with it often causes other things to go wrong but all can be sorted
It’s a shame that your particular mr fix-it is far away would he do a home visit?

Having said that (and I hope I’m not teaching granny to suck eggs here) a simple thing such as new needle not put in properly or a blunt one can cause what you describe try doing it again
Xxx
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

StitchinTime

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
Oh dear, @Lowena. Breathe deeply and count to ten.

Tangled thread at the back is usually a sign that all is not well with the the upper thread. Unthread it and rethread it (with the foot up) checking that none of the guides have been missed and that the thread sits nicely between the tension discs.

The tight stitches and puckering might be if the thread can't run off the reel freely. Is there a notch on the rim of the new reels that might be catching the thread?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »
@Lowena Even after all this time, I can still do something silly, like not putting the thread through the take up lever or catching the thread on the edge of the reel. (and I can put the bobbin upside down) When something has been done so often, we just assume we must have done it right. As has been said, unthread and start from scratch, check the  manual if necessary. Pretty sure you'll have it sussed by the time you read this. Onwards and upwards!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 13:02:29 PM »
Thank you both... I haven't been near the machine...I hate it atm  :angry: Perhaps later.... or perhaps never :devil:

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 19:48:31 PM »
@Lowena , I feel your pain.

I recently bought a second hand overlocker and had no end of trouble getting to grips with it. Poor Ploshkin got almost daily waily emails from me and did a lot of thinking and suggesting. Like you, I used to be a teacher and was used to being the one who knows things.

The sewing machine chap came back twice to sort out my woes and was very nice about it and didn't charge me. Both times it was me being fairly stupid that had caused the problem  -<  I was on the verge of getting rid of the machine and even now, I'm wary about approaching it. Unlike you, though, I would gladly go on a course if I could find one!

Hope you have more success soon.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

arrow

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 00:40:47 AM »
...I bought new, very expensive thread ( Superior ) and new, very expensive needles ( Superior ) to go with my newly serviced machine ( my machine won't tolerate Guttermans )

I'cw mentioned it before, but for me Gütermann thread has turned out the be the most even quality and trouble free of them all (sew-all polyester). I've had the top stitch and extra strength threads too and it is high quality. I have their cotton thread as well. The polyester threads leaves much less dust than any other brands. I like most mercerised cotton threads though and I'm not that picky, neither are my machines.

Do you have a simple straight stitcher or other machine for backup? Sometimes it can be the machine, not ideal for some types of work. The odd thing is the Gütermann thread, at least sew-all polyester. It's common for a machine not to accept top stitch threads that well; some need a special bobbin case for it.

You have to check the bobbin tension when switching to a new thread, they are all different, weight, thickness, smoothness. I guess your Innovis has auto tension for the upper thread?

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:58 AM »
Do you have a simple straight stitcher or other machine for backup?

Don't be silly - Lowena would never have anything second hand or anything that would clutter up her pristine work space.  One machine is her limit!   :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
@BrendaP is totally correct @arrow, I cannot understand why anyone would have more than one machine ( or any other piece of kit ) If I can't use my machine for any reason, I hand sew or do something else  :)
As for Gutterman's thread, I only do patchwork and quilting so only use 100% cotton thread to go with the fabric, so their "sew all" does not come into the equation.
I think my macine has auto tension, but as I'm scared to touch anything... I take my chances  0_0
Thanks for your thoughts  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
Is there anyone on here who lives near you and could come and give you a few pointers?   
You have a lovely machine and it’s a shame not to use it properly.  I’m a bit too far away  :) or I’d do it myself. 

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 13:39:59 PM »
Thanks @Ohsewsimple  I must admit to cringing at the thought. I am a terrible pupil. I hate anyone with me when I do things. I hated learning to drive and even as a child, learning to swim. I cannot bear being told / shown what to do and then having to do it. I expect to be perfect instantly.
@Iminei came when the machine was fairly new and tried her best, bless her  <3 but I'm sure she'll agree that I would n't have a go at anything in front of her and resented being shown how things worked. :|
That is why I'll never join a class, workshop or group........ dreadful admission I know, but I'm afraid my machine will be on default settings, the foot it came with and one running stitch used for the forseeable future  :|

Stitches

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 16:16:21 PM »
I will be near Lowena when she moves to Norfolk

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 16:18:56 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o
I have messaged you on FB @Stitches  :flower:

Sewingsue

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 16:50:45 PM »
Can you try working from an instruction book? That way no one can see what you are doing.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.