The Sewing Place

Now I know why I never touch my machine

Renegade Sewist

Re: Now I know why I never touch my machine
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 22:54:44 PM »
Maybe set up a screen and Stitches can sit behind it, gently giving encouragement?

Or. Get out the manual Woman. Read it, like a book or magazine. Take it to the machine and read it again, slowly, touching the parts as it tells you about them. Then, get out some fabrics, basic stuff, quilt cotton scraps are good. Sew. Practice stitches, stitch lengths, and dare I suggest it, needle positions. Put feet on, take them off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I was terrified of my newest machine, my first ever computerized and with an embroidery module to boot. I took my time, did what I suggested above and over the course of a week or so we got to know each other. I also keep the manual handy and use it often.

Ninety percent of my sewing is done with the default straight stitch and basic foot. It would be useful if you could just get comfortable with the zigzag too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 22:56:49 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

arrow

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »
@...arrow, I cannot understand why anyone would have more than one machine ( or any other piece of kit ) If I can't use my machine for any reason, I hand sew or do something else  :)
As for Gutterman's thread, I only do patchwork and quilting so only use 100% cotton...

My favorite machine is a straight stitch cast iron vintage machine. It's in a small table and I swear it's a joy to work on and not comparable with any fancy new model. I need a free arm too, with zigzag and some practical stitch patterns. For me they are minimum of what I need, and I'm sometimes thinking of an overlocker, but so far I have done fine. I guess the sew all polyester is mostly for the strength and I mostly use it for clothes, much the same for top stitch weights too. For adjusting bobbin tension, you should just get a second bobbin case to play around with and keep the original untouched. The upper tension might be auto, but sometimes needs a bit of tweaking for special threads (which might mean anything else than medium sew all weights).

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
@Lowena my new machine has a default tension.  If I change the tension it will automatically return to the default when the machine is switched off so it's impossible to upset anything by changing it.  I daresay yours is the same.

I've had the machine for several months now but still get the manual out when I wind a bobbin - it's not complicated but I'm never convinced I've got it right.
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
         I have several machines and have to teach lots of people to use different machines BUT I always use to suffer from lack of patience when at home and sewing just for me, if the machine even hiccuped that was me grumpy and walking away.

I then bought a dedicated straight stitch machine and my life changed immediately, now if I can’t  do it with my Overlockers and straight stitch machine I tend to put it off, sometimes indefinitely.

BrendaP

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
Then, get out some fabrics, basic stuff, quilt cotton scraps are good.

Lowena doesn't have any scraps!  She just bins everything that's left over from a project. :devil: :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »
I have read the manual ( I always read manuals ) several times, from cover to cover.
@BrendaP is quite right, I can no more see why people would keep scraps than i can see why they'd have a second machine  :P Each to their own I say  :angel:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

arrow

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 17:05:21 PM »
...I can no more see why people would keep scraps than i can see why they'd have a second machine  :P Each to their own I say  :angel:

I thought scraps were half the point with quilting? Either way, one machine for your purpose is doable, but you probably have to spend more money on it and do a bit of research to make sure it meets your requirements.

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 19:00:54 PM »
Not at all @arrow  I buy new for each project ,make said item and discard the excess  ;) simples  :ninja:

arrow

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2019, 20:12:02 PM »
Not at all @arrow  I buy new for each project ,make said item and discard the excess  ;) simples  :ninja:

It's fine with me, when do you discard the Innovis and get something better?  How large pieces do you discard then? I've seen small squares of quilting fabric sold on ebay, brand new, but only one square. I have some times kept meters of fabric on a roll, on a shelf for years. The only thing I have now are meters of taffeta silk, not sure what to do with it. I like to have a box of material on hand.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 20:17:55 PM by arrow »

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
@arrow It depends on the shape of the leftover pieces. I usually keep pieces bigger than a fat 1/8th and donate the smaller pieces to the fabric recycling bin at the Municipal Tip.
I don't give them to schools because when I was a Head, we were inundated with craft stuff offloaded by well meaning people and it was a pain to store and rarely got used ( don't get me started on the restrictive nature of the National Curriculum  :angry: )
The sewing machine I have will see me out as I am quite ancient  :D

jintie

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:08 AM »
Scraps - I use them to stuff draught excluders (like long sausages) to sit snugly behind my outside doors. I also add cut up worn out clothing. 
Rottweiler with scissors