The Sewing Place

Choosing Beggars, business client crazy edition

Sewingsue

Re: Choosing Beggars, business client crazy edition
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 13:09:13 PM »

Being a kid now is much harder then it was in the 90s.  All the stupid things you do now is able to be posted to the internet for everyone to see and make fun of.
And will still be findable for years to come.
In the past the only one who remembered the time you made a total fool of yourself was probably you.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

datcat23

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 21:35:19 PM »
aaahhh thankyou for the clarification @Kwaaked .  I am not part of reddit, so was unaware what you were linking to, but I see you probably had the same thought processes as I did. 

I have witnessesed (and to my shame, been part of) witch hunts in the past, and it never goes well for anyone.  I think there is a focus sometimes, on the wish for not just justice, but visible justice.  A chance for a mob to express righteous outrage, and receive validation. 

I hope she learns a lesson in restraint.  That sometimes yes, you do get things for free, but its up to you to judge when that is likely, and not overstep your reach.  It can be a hard lesson in the digital era, but sometimes it takes a few goes before they get it. 

Again thanks for clarifying, and for your explanation.  I can occasionally get a bit "preachy" sounding, so I appreciate you (and everyone) taking my post so nicely.     
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Kwaaked

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 21:47:11 PM »
No worries @mudcat

The forum is a place where stories like this get posted all the time.  Everyone takes names out, but still.  An eye opener for sure.

I deal with a lot of kids in my community...weirdly I am the go to place on the weekend, unless I am working with clients and then they get told to get off my lawn.  I just came home from opening the shop (half of it is an actual garage) for one of the boys and half a dozen other kids to fix his truck. 

If I did post things that happen, I'd have a lot of kids in a bit of a pickle.  Not the popular ones, nor ones like who asked but kids that need someplace to go or an adult that they can trust or rely on.  Kind of a tight wire.  Me, it was funny and no harm no foul, because I don't work for exposure but it could do a lot of residue damage for the kids it does matter to.

But let's face it, admitting I did this stuff for some of the kids is no fun and it ruins my reputation.   :[

datcat23

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 21:49:54 PM »
 :angel:   How will it ever recover???    ;)
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:32 AM »
It won't, so I carefully cultivated them into taking my trash out and standing at my doorway giving them the evil eye for all passerby to see I hated kids. :D

Barcoded

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 18:20:23 PM »
That’s so funny, abuse, charms has the making for a good film for Saturday afternoons.
I think I have joined the 201 club