The Sewing Place

Courthouse steps quilt about to begin

maliw

Re: Courthouse steps quilt about to begin
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 19:48:29 PM »
Like them all, depends on personal taste as to how you assemble them.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 21:11:08 PM »
I'm with Pearl.  First one is my first choice and hte last one is second choice.  :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 00:34:56 AM »
It's really difficult, isn't it. I'm making a courthouse steps quilts atm and I keep changing my mind about the layout. But for yours, no. 4 is definitely my favourite. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
1, 4 or 5  for me ....

There's not such a clumpy feel about the tape measure fabric or the dark strips  ... and yes the last two do have an Aztec thaaang going on!

Looking again at them small mode (always a good way to look at an entire quilt ... @Deafoldbat  knows something about why .... No 1 for me!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:33:34 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 19:35:25 PM »
Ah, hours of indecision....

Yes, reducing the scale helps you see the whole thing. It is easy to become fixated on one bit, even if you don't realise it at the time, and helps you check that, especially in a scrappy quilt, you haven't ended up with all the pink (or whatever other colour) bits in one corner. It's also easier to spot a block that's got a mistake in or is the wrong way round.

I made my mother a quilt for her 90th birthday. I pieced it, layered it, hand quilted it, but it was only when I gave it to her and took a photo of it on the bed that I saw the bit that was the wrong way round (too late; it's the humility patch).

A reducing glass (opposite of a magnifying glass), or the cylinder viewer from a door peephole, or even looking through the 'wrong' lens of your glasses shrinks the view and gives you a whole new perspective.

I wish that I'd made it with the very darkest fabric as the very longest strips - but you learn as you go, don't you?
@LeilaMay Yes you learn as you go. Colour placement is a matter of personal preference, often influenced by how much of a fabric you have. It pays to spend a few minutes with squared paper and crayons and draw different versions. Where you put the light and dark tones can completely change the look, and lead to even more hours of indecision....and purchase of more fabric.

LeilaMay

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
Thank you all for your opinions on the variations.We kept thinking of other ways you do it! LOL too much math brain obviously :)
This is what we've decided to go with. We liked it with the stronger black together in some places, but felt it still needed some contrast, so alternate rows. Now to sew . . .

LeilaMay

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 17:31:47 PM »
So here is the top assembled, and hanging on the line in the garden.
Colours look a bit washed out here the un is shining through, but you get the idea :)

Now to choose backing fabric and binding . . .

rubywishes

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »
You're on the "home stretch" now LeilaMay! It's looking terrific.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

LeilaMay

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
Been a hiatus on this as the space I need to lay it out and baste it has been unavailable (the kitchen floor for a day!). But today chef says I can have the room - so away we go . . .

LeilaMay

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 17:56:57 PM »
I have finished the machine quilting of the top  :toast:

Now I have all the ends to tie off and hide, but it's getting there after a shaky start and some major unpicking 
 :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 19:53:32 PM »
Of course you do know the lasoo method dont you @LeilaMay

LeilaMay

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 20:10:12 PM »
I do, but that's not how I tend to do it :)
But thank you
 <3

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
No problem ... then how do you hide your ends???

LeilaMay

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
I do bury them in the same way, but just not using that lasoo-type arrangement.
My thread ends don't always end up exactly at the place I want to loose them, and they are also separated by quite a gap as I'm using a large stitch, so I use a large eyed needle, I move each thread ( if necessary) to where I want them to be, tie them, thread them together through the needle and sink them in as you do.

'Simple' is how it goes here always :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 18:30:47 PM »
And the quilt is finished today.
I didn't realise when showing the back on the quilt, that you were also getting a delightful shot of my grubby water barrel LOL Please try to ignore that bit :)

The quilt back is dark at my daughters request, and the centre seam reinforced with a strip of fabric from one of the front blocks. The quilting follows some (but not all) of the lines of the blocks.

Thank you all for the advice when I was struggling.
Leila  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]