The Sewing Place

Quilt for a friend's husband

WendyW

Quilt for a friend's husband
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:26:36 AM »
I have two best friends, M & D.  D's husband, G, was recently diagnosed with cancer.  M and I went fabric shopping this week to buy fabric to make a quilt for G.  It was fun to shop with her; she knows G better than I do, and it was great to have her input on fabrics. I don't think M has ever had any experience with such a project- she's not the crafty type in general. We chose a pile of about 12-15 themed fabrics, then laid them out on a table and I started sorting and combining, and talking about things like color intensity and balance. She just stepped back and watched the process, with a few questions about what things I was evaluating. We ended up with two photo-style nature prints and two graphic prints, which were then supplemented by coordinating solids. Here's the result. No design wall, so the bed has to suffice. Based on this picture, I'll be rearranging the horse print squares with the ones you can't see, so there's not the 3 nearly-identical together at the top.

Greg's quilt by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Iminei

Re: Quilt for a friend's husband
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
Looks great, it should be a quick and easy make after you sort the placement! Good on you for doing this for them!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
I love the way the large squares personalise it, and the smaller squares bring it all together.  Lovely job.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 18:18:20 PM »
I love the way the large squares personalise it, and the smaller squares bring it all together.  Lovely job.   0_0
Well put! I knew that it worked but you've put it into words.
Lovely job @WendyW. They're going to love it.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!