The Sewing Place

Someone has crossed to the Dark Side

Missie

Re: Someone has crossed to the Dark Side
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
4th Block done. We had the same problem with Block 3 where it has come up smaller than it should and needed a border (there was not going to be any unpicking on this!). After checking everything it turns out that our seams are too large (thought we were using a 1/4” foot) which was fine in the first 2 blocks where there weren’t many seams but crucial in the last 2 which had a whole heap more seams!  Anyway, have now trialled and worked out which foot is best and where seam should be so shouldn’t happen again. Block attached.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 15:52:48 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 15:57:03 PM »
Dutchmans puzzle or some such?

I had exactly the same problem as your daughter with mine and  had to add a border to bring the block up to size. I dont think, at this point in my travel into the depth of The Darkside, I had any P&Q feet yet, so my seams were all over the place!

linky
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 16:54:54 PM »
@Iminei, if you had trouble, then all I can say is "Phew"!  0_0  Fab choice of colours and prints again!

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 17:02:06 PM »
Other Lesson learned is  that when cutting down a square made up of 2 half triangles, ensure that the diagonal seam is going the  correct way else you don't end up with equal triangles, sigh!

If you are trimming a square with a diagonal seam make sure that seam is aligned with the 45 degree line on your acrylic ruler.  If there's quite a bit to trim off you can trim all sides about the same or you can trim mostly from two sides and very little from the other two, but if that 45 degree line goes from corner to corner the square will be right.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 17:02:30 PM »
@Missie my machine feet are awkward to fit so I just use the foot which is on the machine. 1/4" foot often seems to measure more anyway. As long as all seams are the same it shouldn't matter
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 17:16:18 PM »
Dutchmans puzzle or some such?

I know this as " windblown square "  although it probably has others too.  <3 the fabric choices that you made.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.