The Sewing Place

Gallery and Photos

Morgan

Gallery and Photos
« on: March 01, 2017, 16:02:34 PM »
1.  Problem 
Tried to load an image into the SP Gallery from an image hosting site (in this case Photobucket).
The system seems only to only offer upload from Device / PC

2.  Information
Admin/Mods may need to check editing permissions for non-admin members - I seem to have some

3.  Question
Will images loaded into the Gallery be accessible/available to the general public or will viewing Gallery pics be private to Members who are logged in and restricted in respect of search engine caches and copying/sharing of images?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 16:05:18 PM by Morgan »

Francesca

Re: Gallery and Photos
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 16:32:05 PM »
Hello Morgan, can you provide an example of the picture link you were hoping to share?

I will investigate the others for you.

Morgan

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 16:58:12 PM »

On a Laptop and using Opera browser
This is one of the images I tried to upload to the gallery

On selecting Add Photo a standard post dialogue box is presented for the captions, but the process allows only upload from file folder options, not URL options.
For now I posted links to the pics in the post (although they track the reader off site), rather than attach or embed the photos in the actual post. 

Also when trying to submit this reply first time round, I got a 500 error
Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, you@example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 17:09:58 PM »
I can answer the photo embed one for now.

The link you supplied (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/InspiredImage/media/Sewing%20Space/20170217_171040.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0) is not a link to an image it is a link to a web page. Therefore the image embed option won't work.

You need to supply a link that is direct to an image.

MrIminei

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 23:05:03 PM »
Hi Morgan

re the permissions I have set the gallery up so that users can approve & edit their own pictures, and comment on others pictures. This means as you are uploading images you are presented with what appears to be a mod's menu. The assumption was that we could trust the content not to need pre moderation.

We will look to move to a more fully featured version of the gallery plug in if it proves popular.

Andy

MrIminei

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 23:29:17 PM »
No - I was wrong. I had checked the permission box allowing members of the subscriber group to manage the gallery. Now changed.

As for public access to the gallery, whatever the forum chooses. Currently set so

Guests do not see the gallery
Regular members can view but not post
Subscribers can post and manage their own photos.

More than willing to take guidance on this Morgan - your question (particularly the reference to search engines) hints that there is a good reason for asking that may not have been considered.

Andy