The Sewing Place

Recommendations please. I need an old singer restored.

Singersewing101

Recommendations please. I need an old singer restored.
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Hi.

I'm new to the forum. I've joined because I inherited an old treddle singer sewing machine from my mum recently. It's in a really poor state of repair. I would dearly love to see it restored and perhaps take up sewing again.
Can anyone recommend someone who could do a really good job of restoring my singer? I'm based in Peterborough and willing to travel a bit to get it where it needs to go. Any help would be appreciated.

BrendaP

Re: Recommendations please. I need an old singer restored.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
Contact Helen Howes
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/

She's in Raveningham, Norfolk
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
You could do it yourself... lots of info and tutorials out there.
FB Page here
https://m.facebook.com/groups/966147206856166

KayK

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 17:24:15 PM »
Contact Helen Howes
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/

She's in Raveningham, Norfolk
I second this - her website is a joy to behold and read and she really knows her stuff!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
HH is also a really nice person ...

When we met at FOQ last year, she called me an artist no less and I swear I didnt hear any prefixes!!!  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
If you fancy having a go yourself, it would be a great project, with lots of help on YouTube.

Helen Howes is wonderful, and has an amazing number of vintage parts in stock.

One of my personal favourite YouTube contributors, is Lizzie Lenard Here.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Addiscomber

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Is it the machine or the wooden parts of the treadle that need restoration, or both? Probably not affordable unless you do it yourself, even if you could find someone who would do it.

I would second Efemera's suggestion of the Facebook group, if you do Facebook.  The group was started by a retired sewing machine salesman/mechanic who has a small business in, I think Lincolnshire, doing up Singer machines for sale and selling parts and so on. He offers advice on the group, and others have restored their own machines and cabinets. If you join post pictures and you will undoubtedly get advice and encouragement. Be warned though, dreadful group of enablers, you might get the bug and end up with more!

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 16:57:03 PM »
I restored this one - it is possible to do it yourself  :)
Before nd fter shots  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

arrow

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 18:55:09 PM »
Post a picture to let us know the state of it ;- )

You can get far with a DIY effort, these days there are lots of help to be found on the web. I'm sure several of us can help you get the machine running again. As mentioned Helen Howes has any missing bits you might need. If you don't mind driving and carrying the machine, there's no reason not to have it done by an expert.

Have you identified model yet, is there are serial number on the bed some where?