The Sewing Place

White Two-Piece Skirt and Top

Sandra

White Two-Piece Skirt and Top
« on: February 23, 2019, 16:41:38 PM »
I've mentioned on the 'Today' thread that I've been asked to make a two-piece outfit for a young lady to wear to a pageant....so I though I'd show you what I've done.

I was asked to make something like this.

I know...it's cute isn't it?
Adding all the bling won't be my problem. Young lady's mum will do all that when I'm done with it.

She requested that both the skirt and the top were to be longer than on this one.
The skirt is unbelieveably made up of six half circles  :S , pleated onto the lycra waistband. The green satin is fairly soft, and the white satin I've been given is a bit stiffer, so I decided to use four half circles in mine.

I found I have a decent pattern lurking in my stash which will give me a good base to copy the top. I've used McCall's 3436, View C - D...I re-cut the front neckline to dip into a 'V' ,and have left off the back so we can have the lace-up back instead.

I interlined the top with some cotton to give a bit more body and, of course, to help avoid any transparency. I tacked the seam allowances in for the fitting.

Modelled here on Skinny Minnie...she's not a great model to try clothes on, but Millicent's too big to get these clothes on.

Here's the skirt.

They were tried on, and the fitting went very well. Nothing needed to be changed about the shape of either item.
The skirt is pull-on, and in spite of me making it exactly the same as the sample item, she said it was a bit of a struggle to get into it...I think she ended up putting in on over her head.

The top needed 4 inches off the hem, and the skirt needed to be 3 inches shorter.
Mum and daughter were debating which type of stone/crystal bling would look best at the neckline...they seemed to have different ideas.

I used the same fabric as lining for the top. I was given an old bra to cut up to add the cups to the top for a bit of shape.

Finished them off this morning.

Looks a bit plain being simple white, but the bling's the thing.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

Re: White Two-Piece Skirt and Top
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 16:47:01 PM »
She should be thrilled!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

KayK

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 17:21:31 PM »
Lovely! Although I think that I would be better at putting on the bling than making the outfit!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

supergran

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 20:58:56 PM »
God, Sandra, you are so clever! I could no more do that than fly. Its awesome.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 05:25:45 AM »
I agree with supergran !  You are a Wonder Woman, @Sandra ! I would have run, screaming, for the hills xx

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »
Sandra, it's beautiful!  I hope this young lady and her mum, do a good job with the bling.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.  :)

Sometimes I manage to get a look at the finished item when the mum puts pictures up on Facebook. My daughter's 'friends' with her, so she sometimes shows me.

Sandra.
xxx