The Sewing Place

Interface for stretch jersey fabric

WildAtlanticWay

Interface for stretch jersey fabric
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
I think I’m guilty of running before I can walk but I’m hoping one of you lovely ladies can offer some advise.

I’m making a simple style soft draping blouse type top (not a tee shirt style) with no separate collar but I need to use interfacing around the neckline section.

The material I’m using is a printed cotton jersey. (It was a remnant in the fabric shop and the lady said she thought it was a cotton jersey, but I’ve no idea really.) I did the stretch test and it’s 20% stretch.

Looking online at Interfacings, I see you can buy fusible knit interfacing but do I just need to buy a lightweight one? I’ll have to buy online as we’re not likely to be visiting Cork city for some while and there’s nowhere else locally.

If you have any specific recommendations, I’d be very grateful!

Holly Berry

Re: Interface for stretch jersey fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
As far as I’ve found there is only one weight of fusible knit interfacing.

I use it now for everything whether it’s stretch or not. Also if you fuse to something that doesn’t stretch it works like non stretch. When applied it has enough body for jacket and coat fronts, and have used on cotton lawn . I use 1”strips of it with a row of stitching along the seam allowance as tape for shoulders on jersey tops. The fabric won’t have as much stretch after you’ve applied it so it’s just a stabiliser, but won’t split as a non knit interfacing may if the fabric is stretched. I first came across it in a speed tailoring kit.

It’s probably a bit more expensive but I find it more economical as I’m not buying different interfacing.
Procrastination get behind me

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
@Holly Berry  I`m interested in this too - can you tell us which one you use and where you get it?

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
I got my last lot from Sewessential. They call it stretch polyester iron on interfacing. It comes in white and black and is £4.94 a metre.
Procrastination get behind me