The Sewing Place

Industrial sized self-healing cutting surface - not giving up just yet

Marniesews

Despite my bemoaning of my lack of skill with rotary cutters I've asked for a piece of this stuff cut to the size of my table top for my birthday - along with a few other things.

It's very expensive but it'll protect my wooden table top from all the pin marks and give me a high quality surface to have a determined practice at rotary cutting. It may even reduce some of the overlocker noise in the night as well. I've been cutting a lot of circular skirts in mesh this past couple of weeks and my hands were cramping up with the strain of getting a smooth and accurate cut. I've a few more to go too so I've asked for a pair of Gingher serrated shears because I don't expect to become entirely proficient overnight after all the struggles I've had so far.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Iminei

Re: Industrial sized self-healing cutting surface - not giving up just yet
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »
I actually dont think that is sooo expensive at 40 euros per metre square when an A1 sized mat costs upwards of £31!!

Good on you for sourcing that, I wonder if they would make me a normal sized one(s) as my 24"long one is showing distinct signs of wear and my bigger one has split somehow!!!!

Hope you get exactly what you wish for your birthday (if leaving it up to your hubby) or are you taking no chances and ordering yourself??!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
@ Marniesews, let us know how you get on. I’ve not got on with using a rotary cutter for dressmaking simply because it’s such a faff having to keep moving the mat and the pattern shifting.
Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »
Exactly!  The advice is usually pin the pattern if using scissors and use weights if using a rotary cutter, but if you have to keep moving the mat the pattern is bound to shift if it's not pinned.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
I’ve just bought 2 A1 mats from Amazon for £49.98. Rather pretty as one side is pink and the other is lilac.

Haven’t cut anything on them yet but they cover my table apart from a approx 3” strip. When I use a mat for pattern cutting I try to remember to use the metric side to extend the life.

Also got a new cutter from a firm called Destyx, never heard of them but will report back when I’ve had chance to use it.

Would love the one that @Marniesews is getting but don’t suppose I should spend any more money at the moment  :S

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
I only use a rotary cutter for cutting straight lines - strips of cotton for binding and strips of fusbile stretch interfacing for turning hems on jersey.  My biggest bugbear is that mine gets blunt very quickly and misses bits.  It is me?  Am I holding it wrong?  Or have I got a rubbish cutter?  It`s a Clover

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 19:10:33 PM »
My biggest bugbear is that mine gets blunt very quickly and misses bits.  It is me?  Am I holding it wrong?

That’s what I've been asking myself all this time whilst assuming it couldn't be the cutter as I've tried 3 different ones & changed blades frequently.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 19:26:37 PM »
@Marniesews @sewingj I have only recently started using a rotary cutter, it misses, it drags, I feel there is a definite technique which I struggle to attain, I reckon I press too hard, tbh I don't really like them. Today I decided to cut a pattern out with scissors and was far more comfortable with them. I will persist with the rotary cutter as it is quicker for some stuff  ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 21:53:46 PM »
@Marniesews @sewingj  I decided to cut a pattern out with scissors and was far more comfortable with them. I will persist with the rotary cutter as it is quicker for some stuff

I agree. I've been using scissors for sewing since the 1960s so it's much more natural to me but I don't like to be beaten and a rotary cutter should make a smoother curved hem on stretch mesh (I often leave it raw for dance wear) which is why I'd like to master it. If not I'll continue cutting it very slowly with my serrated scissors and the self-healing cutting mat will still protect my wooden table from pin and scissor scratches.

crafter

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 23:00:02 PM »
Has anyone tried to sharpen a rotary cutter blade when you get a nick in them?

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »
When you use a new blade they cut like a dream with very little pressure but start to blunt quickly (just like a kitchen knife).  I sharpen my kitchen knives frequently using a good quality steel.  I never sharpen my rotary blades - therein lies the problem.  The blades just need replacing frequently.
The trouble is replacement blades aren't cheap.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »
@Efemera  do you know if it works on all brands of blade?  I`ve got a Clover rotary cutter and as I`ve already mentioned the blades blunt very quickly  and I think I paid about a fiver for a replacement blade recently!

I tried doing the trick of cutting on sheets of aluminium foil to sharpen the blade - it did nothing!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:18:18 AM by sewingj »

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
 would assume it works on all rotary blades... you could send me yours and I’ll try and sharpen it for you.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:50:18 AM by Efemera »

Lyn-J

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
Has anyone tried to sharpen a rotary cutter blade when you get a nick in them?
Yes, I've tried, it doesn't really work, but there is a slight improvement.
I use the smaller rotary cutters (28mm ?) find that much more economical.
I have several rotary cutters (8  :| ), I use the newer blades on finer fabric, these are much more inclined to "notice" any nicks in the blade.
Some makes of cutting mat are much more inclined to dull blades than others.
I always pin fabric and use a small cutting mat.