The Sewing Place

Prom dress fabric

Antonia

Prom dress fabric
« on: February 26, 2019, 19:12:28 PM »
Hi I’ve been looking for a prom dress fabric, perhaps with a little stretch.  My daughter doesn’t really like satin/shiny.  I was hoping that someone might have an idea of which fabric could be good to use.  The dress is one shoulder with a little bit of ruching at the waist with a long figure hugging skirt with a split up the side. Thank you for any help.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 19:16:59 PM by Antonia »

Antonia

Re: Prom dress fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 20:49:05 PM »
Thank you Francesca I have shown it to my daughter and she has said she does like it but if possible would prefer something really Matt. She has seen an actual dress fabric that she likes and it is really bugging me as I cannot work out what it is lol.  I have ordered a sample of the cotton sateen as unless you have it in front of you it’s very difficult to be sure.  I think the stretch in that would be good for the pattern.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 21:38:32 PM »
What about the crepe side of crepe satin, that's not shiny.  It also gives the possibility of using the satin side for a subtle trim.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Antonia

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 22:22:16 PM »
Francesca I was just looking at the dress fabric that my daughter likes thinking exactly the same thing, that it isn’t going to look enough.  I know some of the girls have bought embellished elaborate dresses so ours could easily be shadowed.  I actually like duchess satin myself.  I have now ordered further samples of the Crepe as Brenda recommended and also have the cotton sateen coming. I’ll also try and find a few duchess satins and hopefully when we get them all together there will be a light bulb moment.  You really have helped me.  Just having others to talk to is an absolute god send.  My husband is clueless lol.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
I know some of the girls have bought embellished elaborate dresses so ours could easily be shadowed. 

The important thing is that your daughter feels comfortable in what she is wearing.  It doesn't matter what the others wear or how embellished their dresses are if that is not what she likes.  My daughter hates anything over the top and she would always go for something plain rather than full of bling.  If she is comfortable, she will feel beautiful and if she feels beautiful, it will show.  Personally, I'm not a fan of satin either.  It can easily look cheap.

I second Brenda's suggestion of a crepe.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »
I second what @Missie says. She will be wearing the dress - not the dress wearing her. She needs to be more memorable than the dress.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »
If she is comfortable, she will feel beautiful and if she feels beautiful, it will show. 
You are so right Missie.  My tall, slim niece looked stunning in her prom dress - a simple, fitted, knee length dress with a bolero.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 13:29:55 PM »
Another vote for crepe.  It drapes beautifully, and is lovely to sew with.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 21:45:29 PM »
I'm not making my granddaughter's prom dress! I've made her so many ballroom dresses over the last few years that buying a posh frock is a huge treat for her...and for me as I'm more than happy not to have the responsibility (or extra work) not least because she's chosen chiffon.  :devil:  I'm going to the next fitting with them and thinking of asking a few questions while I'm there to get some advice on beating my nemesis fabric into submission.

They visited a few places and had some varied reactions to her wanting a matt, draped style with no bling (if she decides she really wants some we can add it ourselves). One place really tried to pressure her into "going big" and then ironically insisted she was a size smaller than we know she is (she's an 8 ) and squeezed her into tiny sample dresses that created artificial lumps and bumps that she really doesn't have. They escaped as soon as they could.

They also suggested no-one would notice her next to the others in lovely sparkly dresses but after wearing blinged up ballroom since she turned 12 she knows what she wants and will have no regrets. I suspect she'll actually stand out in the elegant and classy chic dress that she's ordered elsewhere.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.