The Sewing Place

Furnishing a new sewing room

Lowena

Furnishing a new sewing room
« on: February 27, 2019, 15:58:00 PM »
I am hoping to have the use of a former bedroom as a sewing / craft room.
It will be upstairs and the dimensions will be 2.5m x 2.6m ( 8ft 3" x 8'9" ) Window and door on opposite walls.
At the moment I think I will need.... a table for sitting at and cutting out.... Somewhere for the sewing machine........ storage for half a dozen plastic storage boxes, a few books and notions.
OH has suggested that I splash out and buy a Horn Cabinet for the machine. OH also thinks that this room will be too small, but I disagree - I don't need much room ( I have to sit down to cut out so the table can be dual use )
Does anyone have a Horn Cabinet? Which size? Are they useful? User friendly?
How would you suggest I furnish such a room Everything will probably be new ( 2 chairs, tables or table / cabinet, storage etc )
Please don't suggest IKEA as OH won't countenance self assembly
I'm relying on you  friends  :sew: :pin: :snip:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

Re: Furnishing a new sewing room
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 16:17:38 PM »
Well, if OH is offering to get you a Horn cabinet, they do a quilter's version with plenty of room around the machine and you could sit on the opposite side to the machine for cutting out.

A cupboard such as this would give you plenty of storage!

Edited: I've found a couple of UK suppliers of tardis-like cupboards:
http://www.storage4crafts.co.uk/shop/furniture/the-foldaway/the-deluxe-foldaway.html
https://www.exmoorfurniture.co.uk/quilting-cupboards
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 16:24:04 PM by StitchinTime »

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 16:25:27 PM »
Wow Lowena you certainly are getting ahead with your plans.

I have a Horn Cabinet, which I absolutely love, and is slightly different to the norm, mine opens up to the back and thus gives an enormous work space - Whilst several years old now it is called the Sewmate 2.  This cabinet when not in use can be folded down and put back against a wall, but in order for the top to open it has to be pulled away from the wall, and there is a fold away support at the back which has to be opened to support the top flap.

I love the fact that you can work on huge pieces of fabric - think wedding dresses, curtains here and with the sewing machine on its platform in the lower position the fabric slides through the machine and continues onto the table top so there is no drag.  I also much prefer sewing with the machine in its lower sewing position, i.e. with the plexi around the machine - it is amazing not to have the drag of the fabric falling off and pulling against you.  I also have a separate Horn Cutting out Table, and find that this is so useful especially when cutting out as it is higher than my dining room table.  This table folds down when not in use and has two useful cupboards, it is also on castors so can be moved around easily.

Something else to think about with a Horn Cabinet, is the way the doors open, on mine the main door that opens with the machine immediately behind this, has caddies on the door, now if this was the other way around any fabric you have  could catch and snag on the open door's caddies - I think you really need to get hold of a Horn leaflet and then you will see what I mean.

Why not get in touch with David, Jason or Angela at Horn in Swindon and they will send you a leaflet of the current range - I have always found them to be extremely helpful phone no. 01793 834304.

Good luck with your plans, how lovely to be able to plan ahead and get your new sewing room just how you want this to be.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 16:32:09 PM »
https://www.direct-sewingmachines.co.uk/shop/Horn-Sewing-Machine-Cabinet-Secondhand-p132080056

This is where I got my machine from. I noticed an advert from them a couple of days ago offering horn cabinets. I sew from a horn cabinet, and have a desk behind for office work. The combined tops work well for a good size cutting area.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 16:39:29 PM »
I would love a Horn cutting table but did balk at the price.

I bought one of those 6’ plastic folding banquet tables and find it really useful, mind you if I ever go to a banquet and am asked to sit at a plastic table I’ll be pretty miffed.

I raise it up with the plastic chair lifts to get a better height but if you cut out sitting down @Lowena that won’t be a problem.

The best thing I did when I got my new room as to go for a laminate floor, so much easier to move things round.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 16:40:58 PM »
Ah @Elnnina  and @StitchinTime  I forgot to mention... the room is not big enough to have anything which isn't permanently against a wall  :(

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 17:12:22 PM »
Horn cabinets are great and OH has said getting one is a good idea so go look at the range.
Any of the storage4crafts storage units are worth the money - really well made.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 17:26:58 PM »
@Lowena this is my Horn Eclipse cabinet in a room that is 9' wide (there is a wardrobe on the left hand side behind my chair).  I find it useful having the back flap - as you can see I have a cutting mat on it and when I am doing p&q I do all my cutting and trimming there.  In this one there is a drawer beside my chair and space to store my overlocker.  It all folds up into quite a small cupboard which is useful as this is the spare bedroom and there is room then to open out a sofabed
If you are considering Horn get a catalogue - they have very good diagrams with dimensions.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  .

Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 18:01:59 PM »
Any of the storage4crafts storage units are worth the money - really well made.

I looove those, they have stands at all the shows and I just stand there and drool over them!

Imself showed interest last FOQ, but nothing came of it, mainly because the sewing/art/craft/wardrobe/spare (who am I kidding there?) room has 4 walls with a window in one, a chimney breast on the second, a door on the third and the door to airing cupboard on the 4th!!!

But oh for a small lottery win ... just enough to move mortgage free to a bigger home!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 18:07:47 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin  food for thought.... perhaps there's not enough room after all, the room is only 8'3" x 8'9"  :(
Bite the bullet @Iminei you'll be surprised how much more equity you have in your house now.....just think.......sewing room  :devil: you know you'd love it  :devil:

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 18:50:28 PM »
@Lowena my cabinet is one of the bigger ones.  Really and truly a cabinet like a Horn is mostly useful if you need to be able to pack the machine  away for the room to be used for something else.  I wouldn't have spent that much if I didn't need to do that.
Life's too short for ironing.

twopence

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 19:37:50 PM »
I think that I bought my Horn cabinet about the same time as Elnnina, it’s a Decor Mk 2.  It doesn’t have a back piece though so is flat along the wall most of the time.  When I want to quilt a large piece, I pull it forward and use DS’ desk which is a top on two trestles behind it.  My sewing area is in the dining room I’m the area that was the kitchen before the kitchen extension was built so it’s useful to be able to pack it away quickly when necessary.  I do love working at the lower height and find it strange when I have to use a machine on top of the table ( it’s the same cooking at OH’s sisters as her gas hob is on top of the worktop instead of flat in it). 

I would love a sewing room as at the moment sewing stuff is spread throughout the house, even in the roof.  My choice would be to have a room downstairs so that I could get on while cooking but I suppose it would be a good workout if upstairs.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 20:58:40 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin and @Francesca  It will be a dedicated sewing / craft room, just for me and my stuff. No one else need ever venture inside  0_0
I do like the idea of having clutter, mess notions and bits and bobs out of sight although the machine has a solid cover so will probably stay out. I do not quilt by machine ( can't get on with a walking foot ) so the space needed will be for piecing and binding only.
I just fancy a cabinet, and having had a quick glance, they're not as expensive as I thought, although I would need a couple of chairs and another table as well.... and possibly some shelving.
I'd need to see things "in the flesh" as OH won't buy from online or a catalogue.
Do you think the room dimensions 8'3 x 8'9 will be adequate ... OH is concerned and I can't invisage what I'll really need, so am unsure  -<

supergran

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 22:25:41 PM »
Yes, Lowena, get a Horn cabinet. even if you don't have to pack your machine away, having your machine and work surface all one height is a godsend. They are just the right height for sewing as well. If you've got a shop there that sells them, go and take a look and you'll see the advantage straight away. They are brilliant!

crafter

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 22:58:21 PM »
I am not a great lover of Horn cabinets.  All those things to fold out I find two cumbersome, and I have had two.  Couldn't get out of them without falling over the doors or something stored in them.

I have had a sewing room about that size (sadly no longer since GS moved here).  MrC built me one long worktop (kitchen stuff) on one wall where all my machines stood.  That's sewing machine, overlocker, coverstitch and occasionally embellisher.  All set up and ready to go at any time.  Above that, deep shelves high up (but reachable) containing all my bits and pieces in plastic boxes and labelled.  That way I could easily put my hands on all the usual stuff but also eyelets, button covering equipment, trims, etc. etc.  Underneath a thinner shelf containing overlocker threads (I have loads in nearly every colour).

On the opposite wall, I had a large cutting table on trellis legs which could be pulled away from the wall if necessary.  If I was doing it again I would use the IKEA set of 3 folding tables, although they are a little low.

Now, here's the clever bit.  No carpet!  I had laminate flooring.  And a chair (you will only need one).  The office type on casters that you can wizz round on.  You can work all day without standing up just scoot from from machine to machine to cutting table.  Highly efficient.

Oh and above the cutting table I had a pinboard so I could put any paperwork and samples relevant to what I was making.

Just my suggestions.
C