Lowena

Re: Furnishing a new sewing room
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 15:10:18 PM »
 :D :D Fran, I sympathise  :loveit:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 15:12:15 PM »
Oh, mine wasn't :( Then again the man who delivered it was about 80 and frail (according to my Mum who sat in for the delivery) and she said she worried about him bringing it in let alone doing anything more on it!

Hmm.  I have a Horn cabinet and a Horn cutting table from different suppliers and about 2 years apart.  The delivery for both came from Horn itself and on both occasions the thing was unpacked and set up for me - the cutting table only needed the castors putting on.  I had therefore assumed that would happen wherever you got one from.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 17:56:29 PM »
Hmm.  I have a Horn cabinet and a Horn cutting table from different suppliers and about 2 years apart. 
How do you find the cutting table @Ploshkin ? I assume the castors lock so it is stable when you are using it.

Just checked the size and it would be five inches higher than my dining table.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 18:47:44 PM »
@Sewingsue I'll admit that I originally got the cutting table for my machine because it was considerably cheaper than a cabinet.  But, I hadn't realised that it was much higher until it was delivered (I should have looked at the dimensions of course) and I couldn't use it as a sewing table so really it was an expensive mistake.  I did use it though and really liked it because the height is very comfortable for me to cut out standing up and I don't end up with a back ache (I'm 5' 2").  It's also useful for layering and basting quilts.  The castors do indeed lock.  It folds down to quite a slim unit and there's enough depth one end to store sewing machines.
When I eventually decided to buy a cabinet I tried to sell the table but had no takers so I've still got it but currently don't have the space to open it right out.  We do have some building planned which will give me a lot more room so I'm glad I've still got it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 18:51:07 PM »
I cannot stand to cut out, so that's why I need another table and comfy chair  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 21:54:33 PM »
My son in law has a desk which I covet. It is a perfect height for sewing on. It has three small drawers at the back, lids flush into the table and they have holes in the bottom so you can plug in the machine and the wires go out underneath.You can also leave the cable for another machine, e.g. overlocker, ready for when it is needed.  Also has a couple of ordinary drawers along the front.  I don't know what it is called, or where it is from  but the top is waxed hardwood, so I'm guessing out of my league. If I was rich, I'd have a  joiner make one to my spec.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

crafter

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 22:43:32 PM »
My son in law has a desk which I covet.

Does he know this.  I mean, if he's a good SIL ....

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 01:13:28 AM »
If it's not the brand you dislike, you can order online. I found them really great for their mod-ability - hard to find that with other furniture stores.

I can't understand why someone wouldn't shop at IKEA though personally. I don't think I've ever had the luxury to NOT shop there for furniture! (Most of our home is IKEA).

@Francesca , some people do not shop with them due to their use of political prisoners as slave/ forced labor as recently as the 80's.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
Not something I knew about either.  Not that I've ever used them much.

Anything bad about WayFair?  I've just used them for the first time, and I'm looking at another purchase.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
 :|  :D :D :D

Shows what I know!!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
The Guardian has an extensive and frequently updated list of brands that produce/source their products ethically. This one is for clothing and fashion brands:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ethical-fashion-directory-uk-clothing-brands-fairtrade-vegan

sewingj

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
I should think most companies have dodgy working practices if you look back far enough. If IKEA have admitted historical mistakes and don't do them anymore I would be happy to buy from them. (Tesco on the other hand continue to treat suppliers with contempt and flout planning regulations)

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »
I'm completely on the same page as you @sewingj - Tesco is one company I will not use.  I was involved in opposing their application in a small town and know the underhand methods they use to get planning permission.

I wouldn't punish a company that could be seen to have changed, although I might treat them with a bit of suspicion until I was quite convinced the change was genuine and thorough.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Barcoded

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
@Manuela

I couldn’t find your furniture in the gallery, but did spot the man in the coat, with cape. Do you ave any details anywhere about the coat at all?

Thank you
I think I have joined the 201 club

Manuela

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
@Barcoded
Here the link to the album with pictures of my sewing room in Hong Kong:

https://flickr.com/photos/108322972@N04/sets/72157664934298494

The chap in that coat is Mr Manuela, I made the coat for him a few years back as a Christmas present. I started out with Butterick 3993, and then went to town with it..... Here the link to the album with more details:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/108322972@N04/9r98do

Pictures of my little sewing nook in Thailand are in a thread is this section if you want to have a look at that too  ;)