The Sewing Place

Furnishing a new sewing room

Francesca

Re: Furnishing a new sewing room
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »
@Francesca , some people do not shop with them due to their use of political prisoners as slave/ forced labor as recently as the 80's.

I was only just made aware of this by another member. I had no idea, another brand to boycott (I still don't shop at Boots).
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 13.3m metres

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

b15erk

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
Not something I knew about either.  Not that I've ever used them much.

Anything bad about WayFair?  I've just used them for the first time, and I'm looking at another purchase.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2019, 10:00:21 AM »
Wayfair is just a site that lists other businesses selling furniture. They don't make furniture themselves, just aggregate other shops.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 100 metres
So far: 13.3m metres

My Blog - Plus Girl Sews // Follow me on Instagram :)

b15erk

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
 :|  :D :D :D

Shows what I know!!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
The Guardian has an extensive and frequently updated list of brands that produce/source their products ethically. This one is for clothing and fashion brands:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ethical-fashion-directory-uk-clothing-brands-fairtrade-vegan

sewingj

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
I should think most companies have dodgy working practices if you look back far enough. If IKEA have admitted historical mistakes and don't do them anymore I would be happy to buy from them. (Tesco on the other hand continue to treat suppliers with contempt and flout planning regulations)

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »
I'm completely on the same page as you @sewingj - Tesco is one company I will not use.  I was involved in opposing their application in a small town and know the underhand methods they use to get planning permission.

I wouldn't punish a company that could be seen to have changed, although I might treat them with a bit of suspicion until I was quite convinced the change was genuine and thorough.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.