The Sewing Place

Teal Fitted Bodice Dress

datcat23

Teal Fitted Bodice Dress
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:54:05 AM »
Well despite being unwell, I finished this dress. There has been a fair number of changes since the muslin.

The pattern is the Bootstrap Fashion Fitted Bodice Dress with Pleats and Pockets (nothing frothy about that name). I made a pretty rookie error with my measurements, and so had to adjust the pattern. A extra dart was inserted in the front, and the back dart widened. I could probably take the back in a bit more at the waist. I lengthened the skirt panels. Firstly, because the muslin was uncomfortably short, at least for me. And I wanted to really showcase the print; the whole point of this dress.

Teal dress by Dani, on Flickr

Despite purchasing a generous amount of fabric, that skirt sucks up fabric, and I had to finickle around to fit the bodice in. It has meant that I have ended up with a blue bird at the centre of my chest, but it could have been two of them in pastie position   :devil:  so I figure work with what you have.

Teal dress by Dani, on Flickr

I am really pleased with this one, and can see myself using it as a pseudo-block, for future dresses.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

SkoutSews

Re: Teal Fitted Bodice Dress
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
That's a lovely dress and the fabric is gorgeous! Is it cotton?

When I first looked at the photo, I thought that you'd placed the bodice front very well on the fabric design and then I read on and found it was a happy coincidence! Good thing you managed to avoid the 'bird pastie' look.

The longer length works well and, as you say, shows off the fabric.

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
That's a lovely dress and the fabric is gorgeous! Is it cotton?

Its quilting cotton, which I picked up from an online quilt fabric site here in Aus.  I am sure the quilt police will get me.  :P
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Oh its lovely! I like the bird placement on the bodice and thought it was deliberate.
The cotton must be lovely to wear in hot weather and will soften slightly every time you wash it.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:25:38 AM »
I thought the bird placement was deliberate too.  That's such a lovely dress, @datcat23  , I love the colour, the fabric, everything.  I so wish I could wear dresses with a waist again  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
Yes, the bird looks absolutely right where it is - as you say two of them would have been a bit different!

My quilting police like using craft weight cotton for summer dresses, though actually if you buy 100% cotton or cotton poplin or whatever from a dress fabric shop it's usually less expensve than similar stuff designated as being for P&Q.   -<
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »
I love that - and it suits you so well!   0_0

I have found that Bootstrap/Lekala patterns have a tendency to use far more fabric than you might expect.  I can see that it is probably because of them being customised rather than accommodated.  I have relatively ordinary, knee length skirt pattern from Bootstrap that uses just under 8 metres of 45inch wide fabric.  Or it would if I made it!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
That's beautiful - and where else would a bluebird be?

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
That's a beautiful dress DC.  The colour is perfect on you too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 09:21:40 AM »
Lovely, I really like the fit on you.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
I'm glad I can see it now - my Kindle wouldn't let me see it.
That's lovely Dani, makes me want it to be summer.  The bird couldn't really have gone anywhere else on the bodice (apart from one shoulder but then you would have a vegetation fringe across your boobs) ) without being decapitated  or tail less and it looks perfect where you've got it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:27:21 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:03 AM »
Beautiful colour and fits really well...lovely

Missie

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
That fabric is gorgeous and the dress showcases it perfectly!

jen

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
Lovely, what a beautiful print. The placement works perfectly.

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 17:06:05 PM »
Exemplary bird placement and such a lovely summery fabric.
That pattern looks like a keeper to me.