The Sewing Place

Rotary Cutters etc

sewingj

Rotary Cutters etc
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
Recently we`ve been having quite a bit of discussion about rotary cutters in other threads - I think some useful information might be overlooked. 

Could this be a one-stop-shop for everything to do with them?
recommended cutters and blades and where to get them
recommended mats
how to sharpen blades
best technique
etc etc etc

So far I`m not convinced they are for me but I`m willing to be persuaded

Iminei

Re: Rotary Cutters etc
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 15:38:59 PM »
Just ordered (and received) 10 Olfa 28 mm blades for just under £15!
Whack the postage on and it comes out to just under £20 but still good value for genuine Olfa, I think!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 16:52:28 PM »
IMO rotary cutters are for using with a ruler, scissors or shears are for everything else.
Both need to be sharp and not abused if you want to continue successfully cutting fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

jintie

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 16:55:20 PM »
To sharpen, I have successfully cut through three layers of kitchen foil.
Rottweiler with scissors

fajita

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 18:19:04 PM »
I usually use the scissors for small things and clothing, the cutter for quilting.
For the recently completed shirt I used the rotary cutter. It worked extremely well on those long seams and hems. I think scissors still for notches though.

I'm a clothing rotary cutter convert.

Radiofan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »
I use them for cutting around pattern pieces on a large mat. The mat costs more than the cutter.

It's faster and produces a cleaner, more accurate cut. I wouldn't do it any other way now.

Cheap "Jakar Rotary Cutter" from "The Range", cost only £2.99. I've used it 5 times on full patterns and many other times for cutting curtains etc. It's still sharp and 28mm replacement blades are cheap at 10 for £6 on eBay. The only down side to this particular cutter is that the blade tightening nut has a tendency to work loose, requiring periodic adjustment.

Rotary cutting is the way to go IMO. Just get a large A2 sized mat (or larger).
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.