The Sewing Place

Looking for Square Buttons

b15erk

Looking for Square Buttons
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
I'm having a bit of a meltdown and hoping that someone on here can help.

I'm making DGD a Mary Poppins Returns outfit, which will include the lovely navy blue coat Here , and I would like to buy some square buttons, one large, and others smaller.

I'm not coming up with very much, all either too small, too blingy, or too expensive.

I'm looking for useful button suppliers in the UK, and would appreciate any recommendations.  I'm all buttoned out at the minute.... :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

Re: Looking for Square Buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
Something like these and a tester pot of navy paint and maybe a drop of silver something or nail polish for the edges.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:42:27 PM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »
What a good idea Wrenkins!  They are not going to be used (I'm using snaps), so that would be a great solution.

I'm sure I've seen similar in the Works.....  I must look.  :)

Thank you!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »
I wasn't in Girls' Brigade for twenty years without learning how to spoof the odd button!  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 17:07:14 PM »
Something like these and a tester pot of navy paint and maybe a drop of silver something or nail polish for the edges.

A small tube of acrylic paint or even a bottle of navy nail polish would be enough to cover a few button blanks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
I managed to find 4, 31mm plain square buttons, and I'll buy some navy nail varnish in town later (I've got silver).

I think I can stick a blank to the back of one of them to make it slightly larger, and dress it up accordingly :).

Thanks so much for the encouragement girls!

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
You ever want to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse I'm your woman!!!  0_0