The Sewing Place

Interfacing for 4 way stretch waistband

Flobear

Interfacing for 4 way stretch waistband
« on: February 28, 2019, 14:47:43 PM »
I have tried to be self-sufficient and find out by myself but my searches on here have yielded nothing and my internet searches are like trying to get a cup of water from the Niagara Falls!

New to overlockers, I have made a pair of very stretchy skinny trousers, jeans styling. The waistband is slightly shaped, not straight. I really don't know what type of interfacing to use. I don't want it to stretch much but neither do I want it solid, like a belt.

I would value advice from those who have knowledge / experience in matters stretchy.  This includes advice on where to buy such interfacings online, please.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

eclectic

Re: Interfacing for 4 way stretch waistband
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 18:19:16 PM »
Instead of interfacing you could always use power net ... I prefer that for 4way fabrics then you dont need to worry about ironing and breaking the fibers

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 18:59:32 PM »
I've only ever used thin strips of fusible, stretch interfacing but I think that although it stretches it may reduce the stretch of very stretchy fabric so it could depend on how much stretch you need (that's a lot of stretches in one sentence).  I think it only comes in a light weight.
Powernet sounds like a good option - Minerva Crafts also do that, I think it comes in different weights.
How wide is your waistband?  Could you put woven elastic in it?  It seems to come in lots of widths, even 6".
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 19:25:26 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, E, e and P.

I've never heard of power net, I shall investigate forthwith. I found fusible stretch interfacing and saw that it seems only available in lightweight. Not sure if that would be robust enough for a waistband.

The waistband is only about 1.5 ins when finished. As it is slightly curved  I don't think I'll go for woven elastic.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 21:44:07 PM »
@Efemera  Interested in this interfacing, new to me.  What does "fitted side of the interfacing to the left side of the fabric" mean?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 21:58:47 PM »
@toileandtrouble ....I have absolutely no idea :o

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 22:05:30 PM »
I don't know if this is relevant but I'm working with a German pattern at the moment and it keeps referring to what we would call the wrong side of the fabric as the 'left' side.
Opposite of right side I suppose.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 23:50:41 PM »
Ah, some of those interfacings are German. Perhaps fitted means treated with the glue. If  left means wrong, that would be right - sorry, just couldn't resist it. I mean, it makes sense. Thank you.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
The perils of using 'google translate', I expect  :D

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
FB, I don't interface stretch fabrics very much - unless it's to stop the edges curling.... :|

If I'm doing trousers with a Yoga Style waistband, I use elastic.  Not so much for a stretch waistband, but to give the waistband stability and a little stretch when pulling on and off. (I hope the waistband police won't come after me)

If I needed to use an interfacing, it would be one I buy locally, but haven't got a name for.  It's a fine woven, iron on interfacing, made for use with stretch fabrics, but I use it for everything.  If you want a sample, send me a PM.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.