The Sewing Place

Unable to buy zips locally

So Chic

Unable to buy zips locally
« on: February 28, 2019, 14:50:00 PM »
I have been trying to buy a skirt zip locally (Medway towns) but without success.  I couldn't find the right length or colour anywhere so I've ended ordering on line.  It's so frustrating not to be able to buy habby locally as what shops there are do not stock a good range of products.  Although I did find some ponte roma to make a skirt so it wasn't quite a wasted trip.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

sewingj

Re: Unable to buy zips locally
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 15:25:52 PM »
I can`t get any haberdashery locally.  Jaycotts have a really good selection of zips online - especially YKK which work best for me

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 16:57:06 PM »
I have been trying to buy a skirt zip locally (Medway towns) but without success. 

A couple of weeks ago I was in Hometown, Rochester (the P&Q shop) and heard a customer asking for zips.  The advice given was try the shop in the Pentagon or John Lewis in Bluewater, or mail order.  That's how dire the Medway towns are now for basic sewing and habby. :'(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 17:32:46 PM »
The only place I can get habby locally is from Boyes, very limited range and quite expensive to say it's not high end stuff

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 19:22:21 PM »
Try this

https://www.zipsonline.co.uk/

wide selection and fairly quick.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 13:08:47 PM »
I’ve made a note of the on line suppliers of zips for future reference, thanks for the information.

So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 13:35:22 PM »
I've ordered from Jaycotts in the past and the next day the order has arrived, they are really quick.  I don't even bother looking in bricks and mortar now.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 19:48:10 PM »
I can`t get any haberdashery locally.  Jaycotts have a really good selection of zips online - especially YKK which work best for me
@sewingj, thank you for reminding me of Jaycotts ❤️. I've been clearing my loft out of junk so I can make room to store my ever growing stash collection. I took a car load of stuff to Barnados yesterday, I have absolutely no idea why on earth it was pushed in there, but it's gone now. What do I do? Walk out with a pair of gorgeous new slub satin curtains