The Sewing Place

Sewing Machine Sales

Ellabella

Sewing Machine Sales
« on: February 28, 2019, 23:45:38 PM »
Has anybody used Sewing Machine Sales based in Whitley Bay?

They have a good price on a machine I’m interested in but I don’t know anything about them. They are close enough to me that I could go in person but I’d appreciate anybody’s personal experience.

Iminei

Re: Sewing Machine Sales
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »
Going in person greatly alleviates any niggling doubts as you can interact with people and gauge if they are honest, give good service etc.

What are you thinking of getting Ella?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
A Babylock Imagine overlocker.

When I was looking for new machines I replaced my Janome with the next model up. As it was on offer it would have been rude not to ;)

I bought a secondhand Babylock Evolve from Mamashep. It’s a combination model but I intend to only use it as a coverstitcher.

I’ve been using a really old Janome O/L but need a new one.

The air threading on the BL is awesome and the Imagine also has auto needle threading. As I get older this is getting more and more important.

I figure that this is probably the last O/L I will  buy so am going to treat myself to what I really want :D

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Oooh exciting (like I know what your talking about ... air threading ????  :S  )

Which Janome did you get????

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »
I got the 8900QCP, it’s lovely. I haven’t had chance to explore all its talents yet but Im enjoying it so far.

Threading an overlocker is a bit of a faff. The looper threads usually have a convoluted route through various thread guides, which involves much peering and neck craning. An air threading machine does all the work for you as if by magic. Just put the first inch of thread into a little hole, push a lever and whoosh the thread appears at the other end all ready to go :D

The looper threads are  the lower ones.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »
That does sound like magic!

Sounds lovely! and with a lovely fresh house and newly outfitted sewing room, life must be good, making up for your annus 'orribilus last year!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 17:36:52 PM »
I have bought feet from them, no problems, but with a big purchase you are better going to have a look since you are near.  Who knows what else you might find once you are in the shop?   0_0
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 22:10:53 PM »
@Ellabella I have this machine its fantastic perfect stitches every time and so easy to thread there is a new baby lock coverstitch coming out this month with a larger workspace/throat which I am hoping to get.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 10:23:31 AM »
Presumably overlockers with air threading are rather more expensive?  Not that I'm thinking of getting one of those instruments of the devil.  No.  Definitely not.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
I have the Imagine and love it, I've had it for a few years now after a visit to SMD in Wrexham. You just have to make sure that the thread into the ports is long enough and with a fine thread it can be a bit fiddly. Mine doesn't like ordinary sewing thread in the needles for some reason but it's great with overlocking thread.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »
Yes @Acorn they are considerably more expensive but so much easier to thread. You can thread in any order and the model I want has needle threaders too.

I use an overlocker as much as I use my main machine and reckon that it will last me out so am going for it :o :S

I am just waiting for the opportunity to actually try one. I won’t use my nearest dealer so am waiting till I have time to pop somewhere.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
I've used them several times for buying machine accessories, they also sell on Ebay.  I have also bought a machine off them, my Pfaff Select 4.  In the past I've used SMD but my emails weren't getting any response and I got fed up of waiting and since the machine was cheaper than they were advertising, even allowing for a discount for no extras, I bought.  Never has any problems so can't comment on the back up service.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 14:06:02 PM »
Sham you didn’t go to the Knitting and Stitching show at Olympia as they were reduced this last weekend.  They are great machines, I love my overlocker

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 15:48:57 PM »
After saying I was going to wait to try one, I didn't 0_0

I spoke to a friend whose opinion I value and she really rates hers.

I looked at the number of views for this thread and nobody has given any negative feedback for the company so went for it.

Whilst I was on the site I got a discount code offered that gave me an extra 10% off.  So I am paying almost £140 less than it retails for on other sites and I get 3 extra feet.

Its coming on Wednesday :D

Excited now.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »
Congratulations you will love it I am sure