The Sewing Place

Sewing For Little Ones Contest - March 1st to March 31st

coffeeandcake

Re: Sewing For Little Ones Contest - March 1st to March 31st
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 21:20:22 PM »
Oh dear. I skimmed through the pics and didn't register that the third one down was the back! I was quite impressed with how accommodating you'd been!  :o I don't know where my mind is at - must need some sleep. Great job @SewRuthieSews

Manuela

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
@sewmuchmore, am I right to assume that this is your entry? It is not really clear in your post.

Only had time to do a couple of simple Skorts for the Diva who is 8 and now learning to be a cheerleader so wanted something to wear to class.
The pattern was from a Prima mag, last year I think. And the fabric was from the stash, it is a plain cotton feel scuba from the Textile Centre, their description Light-weight poly/viscose/elastane jersey. This fabric has a two way stretch giving a comfortable fit when garment is made. Powder soft to the touch. One side has a cotton feel and the other side is your typical scuba fabric, only lighter in weight.
The colours are really vibrant and the fabric was lovely to sew.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

BayCreekGal

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 22:26:49 PM »
@BayCreekGal, you could have entered the Selfless February contest with all that. You'll find a list with all 2019 contests among the sticky threads in this section.

Thank you, Manuela.  I copied the list over into my OneNote so I can check it easily.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »
They look lovely.  I'm intrigued with how you've hemmed them - what machine/stitch have you used @sewmuchmore ?
They were just overlocked and then a zigzag stitch.

@Manuela sorry yes entry number 1.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:16:44 AM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Samantha

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45:06 AM »
Hey I might actually finish in time to enter this contest!  I am making a shirt dress for my 8 year old out of some pineapple print fabric that she chose in Paris last year. have cut out and stitched together the main body pieces so just (!!) collar and sleeves. Oh and buttons and button holes  - or maybe I'll just use poppers >:)  Photos to follow.

Starryfish

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Starryfish's Entry #1
What is it and for whom- A dress for my only Granddaughter aged 2 1/2

Pattern used  New Look 6441

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc. No real issues apart from the usual sewing pieces to the wrong piece and unpicking sessions. I only had an invisible zip, so changed the sewing order. I bought the fabric for me originally but thought small flamingos suited her better.

Pictures (ideally included in the text, but I can do that for you if needed)

I have some coral jersey to make a matching cardigan but that won't be this month.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:59:51 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Samantha

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 14:07:11 PM »
I've just got the hem of the sleeves and the bottom to do. Oh and a load of buttons and buttonholes  :S I wonder if my youngest would like a zip up shirt dress instead?!

Sakar

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 19:56:43 PM »
Sakar's entry: Star Trek Captain's Uniform

I made a Star Trek Uniform for our son Wolfgang's first Karnival party.

Pattern:
I used no specific pattern, but it's not self-designed either. I just took his best-fitting pants and tried to make a copy of it. Then I had to re-design and add all the Star Trek things to get a nice costume.

This is the inspiration: Captain Jean-Luc Picard from the USS Enterprise :D

And that's what came out:

I tried to make it big enough to get some warm clothes beneath it while keeping it comfortable for him.

I redoubled the knees with black leather, because crawling around is a demanding job for simple jersey fabric.
And the most difficult things for me were, how to make the points on the shoulder to meet perfectly and how to make the ranking pins/insignia in a proper way, in the end I used some metal jersey buttons.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 20:23:11 PM by Sakar »

fajita

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 20:42:36 PM »
Gorgeous little boy, @Sakar , and very well dressed!

Sakar

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 21:46:07 PM »
Thank you @fajita  :D

annieeg

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 21:55:46 PM »
@Sakar
Don't know which is cuter - the model or the outfit!! :D
Fantastic, nonetheless!.

Samantha

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 20:08:52 PM »
I have actually FINISHED!!!! Will post photos tomorrow when it’s light.

b15erk

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
Missed the deadline for this.  :(

What a Numpty!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
Samantha's entry

Shirt dress for my youngest daughter Willow aged 8

Pattern used - New Look Tweenies shirt dress 6487

The pineapple print cotton fabric was brought in Paris last year when we stumbled across the Paris equivalent of Goldhawk Road.

It was a pretty straight forward make, I've done a few shirt dresses before so nothing new to me.  But this pattern did have a different way of doing the collar. Previously I have made the collar up then attached it to the neck edge but this way attached the collar band to the neck first then attached the collar, I think I preferred it as it meant the collar band was the right length for the neck edge which I've had issues in the past with due to my slightly off cutting and sewing!!

The customer was delighted with it  :D  (PS I did press it but she was wearing it for a good hour before I got round to taking photos)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:23:46 AM by Samantha »