The Sewing Place

Just another newbie.

Mick

Just another newbie.
« on: March 01, 2019, 22:21:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

my name is Mick and, much to my own surprise, find myself fascinated by the world of sewing.

It started with some leather items I got asked to make. I can't resist a challenge, so took the job on.
I got fed up with hand stitching the stuff pretty quickly, and started looking for a better way. What I ended up with was a 1918 hand-cranked Singer 66, very cheap off Ebay.

YouTube taught me how to set it up and use it, and together we rattled through the work in no time. The plan was to get rid of the thing as soon as the work was done.

However...
Leather-work out of the way, I began to wonder what else a machine like that could be used for. And so began the slippery slope into fabric crafts.

I'm still pretty much baffled by it all, but keen to learn. To that end, I got myself a much more modern, and easier to use, machine. I've completed a few simple projects on it, but still suspect I'll be taking a lot more away from this forum than contributing.

Mick.

Ellabella

Re: Just another newbie.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 22:29:10 PM »
Hi Mick and welcome.

Most of us here gain more than we contribute.

There is always someone here who knows the answer to a question and we all had to start somewhere

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 22:34:15 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 22:41:24 PM »
Nice to have you aboard, Mick. I'm new too.
I'm wondering what sort of fabric crafts you have experimented with.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

fajita

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 23:29:57 PM »
Welcome @Mick  :drink: :flower:

Radiofan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 23:37:53 PM »
Welcome. I'd say the 66 is a pretty solid beast. Benefit of the electric machine is that one can use both hands to guide the fabric. I rarely use anything more than straight stitch and zigzag, what machine did you end up with?
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 03:38:49 AM »
Welcome, @Mick:toast:  Hope you enjoy being with us, someone will have an answer to any questions you have (maybe more than one answer  :[ ) x

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 04:25:54 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place and the weird and wonderful world of sewing @Mick  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:30:23 AM by Manuela »

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Welcome, Mick.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
Another welcome from me.  What sort of things do you think you might be making? 
Life's too short for ironing.

datcat23

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »
Another welcome from me, on the other side of the planet.  Welcome to the swirling maelstrom that is sewing.  Its addictive, frustrating, satisfying and .... frustrating ..... all at the same time.  But, it leads to the best community.

As others have said .... don't be afraid to ask questions.  "The only stupid question, is the one you are afraid to ask."  If there isn't someone that knows, there will be a host of helpers, who will try to help you figure it out, and who will cheer your success when you do. 

BTW ...... in a couple of months, I will probably post a topic about preparing for xmas.  For some reason that surprises this bunch every year.    :devil:
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

hernibs

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »
Welcome Mick - hope you enjoy your newfound 'hobby'.

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 20:14:11 PM »
Hi Mick, welcome aboard  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 20:58:11 PM »
Welcome to TSP - and do tell us about what you are making with your shiny new machine. :sew:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 22:06:32 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mick

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 00:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Welcome. I'd say the 66 is a pretty solid beast. Benefit of the electric machine is that one can use both hands to guide the fabric. I rarely use anything more than straight stitch and zigzag, what machine did you end up with?

Yep, to say that 66 is a hundred and one years old, and according to the guy I got it off, had spent the last forty years forgotten about in his late mothers attic, it's a remarkable piece of engineering. Don't think I'll ever get rid of it, just seems a shame I don't use it much now.

I got a Singer Heavy Duty. I can see myself sewing more denim and leather than fine fabrics, so it seemed like a decent choice. Don't know if the more experienced heads here would agree?

It's a clever machine, compared to the 66, and can do a lot of things I'll probably never need, but this is all a learning process for me, so figuring out what all the knobs and dials do is half the fun.  8)

Another welcome from me.  What sort of things do you think you might be making?

Well, I'm a long way off being skilled enough to make to make any kind of clothes, so sticking to "utility" items for now.
A cover for the sewing machine is the most ambitious project so far, and I'll admit to being ridiculously proud (and surprised!) that it turned out not to be a total disaster.   :)

Another welcome from me, on the other side of the planet.  Welcome to the swirling maelstrom that is sewing.  Its addictive, frustrating, satisfying and .... frustrating ..... all at the same time.

Ahh, right, so it's not just me then.  I certainly get the "frustrating" bit.
Never even heard of a seam ripper until I started this stuff. Now it get's more use than anything else... :|

BTW ...... in a couple of months, I will probably post a topic about preparing for xmas.  For some reason that surprises this bunch every year.    :devil:

Now there's a scary thought..."Why don't you make me something for Christmas..." :o

Welcome to TSP - and do tell us about what you are miking with your shiny new machine. :sew:

Don't worry, I'll probably be boring you all silly with my cack-handed attempts to waste perfectly good fabric, soon enough.  :[