The Sewing Place

Mock shirt/sweater

SewRuthieSews

Mock shirt/sweater
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:24:51 AM »
I've got a sleeveless jumper (sweater) which I hardly wear. I thought I might wear it more if I added sleeves and a collar in a shirt fabric so it looks like there is a shirt underneath without having extra layers.

Has anyone tried this and if so any tips you can share?

My sleeveless sweater is dark red and the fabric I am planning for the sleeves and collar is white with red strawberries.
I don't want a shirt tail hanging out at the bottom so won't be bothering with that part.

toileandtrouble

Re: Mock shirt/sweater
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Haven't but you reminded me I have some jumpers I was going to alter. They had polo necks which i find a bit too hot, I bought some Liberty lawn and was going to replace the neck with a collar and placket to make it easy to put on. Must have a go at that. Thanks for the reminder!
I do have a tee shirt which has a mock shirt sewn inside the V neck. The binding is left loose around the V so they look separate. I think I would do the same on your top, sew along the inside edge of the ribbing or whatever finish there is, to leave it looking loose. Oh, how difficult it is to describe the picture in ones head.  :\
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m