Voting closed: May 15, 2019, 06:43:14 AM

Sewing for Men - we have a winner

Manuela

Sewing for Men - we have a winner
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:23 AM »
#1 Radiofan’s entry

Item: Polar fleece jacket (for me)

Pattern: Kwik Sew 4032 Jacket B

Made from "silver" and green polar fleece. All silver is boring and all green is boring, so I have combined them. One thing I realised after making this is that people with green colour-blindness will see this as mostly grey anyway!

Added elastication in sleeves and waist, to keep the warmth in. The pattern misses out some over-edging on the insides, so I have machine over-edged using an over-edging foot and a zig-zag stitch in these areas. Hardest part was the few places where you have to sew over 6-8 layers of fleece (collar seams).

Photo, laid flat

Photo, worn

I have one in the two-blues colour of the original pattern, but this is more original, I think.

#2 sewmuchmore’s entry

Shirt for hubby
Pattern used is Burda 7525
Fabric is Robert Kaufman: Quotes Chambray which was originally bought to make a blouse for me but he spotted it.

This was the first time I have used this pattern and did follow the instructions (sort of). The bib is made and then simply laid onto the shirt and top stitched, leaving on the raw edges of the cutout on the reverse. I did neaten them with a very narrow hem but will think of a better way to put the bib on next time. It did not tell you to interface under the button holes either but I did. I did not have enough fabric to do long sleeves but that wasn't a problem as he prefers short sleeves.
Sorry about photo this was the only way I could get the colour to show.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#3 Sandra’s entry

A shirt, made for a friend.

I cut up his old, favourite shirt to use as a pattern...(it's OK. He said I could.  0_0)

I didn't want to waste some good fabric for a first attempt on this make, so I asked him if he could get some cheap fabric for starters. 
He said he'd got just the stuff for me to use... :S

A fairly straightforward make. The shirt is very big and baggy, so nothing to worry about regarding getting it to fit especially well.
I made it up exactly as I'd cut it out, and only needed to check, and adjust, the length and the length of the side splits.
He plays guitar and likes to wear something a bit different when he's playing somewhere. Not sure I'm going to get an action shot of him in this, so I'll submit the entry now.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:26:28 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Sewing for men voting thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:51:20 AM »
Voting has started...

Manuela

Re: Sewing for Men - we have a winner
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:29:16 AM »
.... and the winner of the Sewing for Men contest is....

Sewmuchmore

Huge congratulations @sewmuchmore, the lovely @Iminei will be in touch with you regarding your winner's badge  :)

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
Congratulations sewmuchmore.  :toast:

Loved the fabric you used for this.

Sandra.
xxx

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »
 :) Thanks to everyone for voting for me. This is a welcome bit of good news in what is turning out to be a pretty bleak time.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 15:25:04 PM »
Very well deserved @sewmuchmore !   :toast:

I have to say I struggle to vote in these competitions as they are all at such a high standard.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 15:35:13 PM »
Well done, you @sewmuchmore:toast:

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 15:50:33 PM »
Félicitations @sewmuchmore  :toast:

fajita

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 16:49:50 PM »
Congratulations, @sewmuchmore   Well done to the others, was hard to choose.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 17:14:59 PM »
Well done @sewmuchmore - a worthy winner, although it was so hard to choose between the entries. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
Congratulations @sewmuchmore ! Very well done - it's lovely.