The Sewing Place

Summer Jacket and skirt

Silver Rose

Summer Jacket and skirt
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
The plan is to make a summer jacket and skirt from this  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  heavy cotton fabric - I know, it looks curtain material but it is bold and I need cheering up. I have yet to get some suitable lining for it, I have made the jacket once (unlined) and was very relieved and pleased with the result. Hope to make a start today as the weather is awful.
Still learning

sewingj

Re: Summer Jacket and skirt
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
@Silver Rose  - Calico Laine have a good range of lining fabrics

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
Thanks @sewingj , what a great website, I'm lucky that I have a few good shops to visit locally for all my sewing needs.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
I've made a start with the jacket, I am using New Look K6035 View A, it is unlined but I am going to try to line it - haven't worked out the best way to do it yet. The pieces for the back and front are sewn together but I need the fusible interfacing  before I continue with the collar and front facings so I'm off to town shortly to get that.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 15:21:12 PM »
The under collar is on after a bit of huffing and puffing, the upper collar is pinned to the facings. Just got to put it all together - tomorrow.
Still learning

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 17:14:16 PM »
Good progress, Silver Rose. I have that pattern, so I'm following with interest.

debs

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »
I've just googled the pattern, looks very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing yours  :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »
I made this version  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   with that pattern 3 years ago, this is the only pic I could find. I call it my jazzy jacket.
Still learning

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Not really sure if I should tell you this @Silver Rose but I had a tablecloth in that fabric.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Comes in handy on a picnic ;) @Ellabella
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 16:29:36 PM »
I couldn't sit for long today but I've managed to sew the upper collar on and after a lot of pinning and re-pinning and more huffing and puffing it is now tacked ready for the sewing machine if my back is OK  tomorrow. There are lapels of a sort emerging.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
Oh dear, I have made a pig's ear of the collar, I am so cross with myself as I made a really good job of it the first time I made this pattern. There is puckering in the notched part of the collar, I tried really serious pressing to see if that would make a difference - it didn't  :( at the moment I can't face unpicking etc... so I will leave it until I feel I can face it. I'm sure it can be remedied but I just feel so stupid at the moment. I hope to be more positive soon.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:32 AM »
Keep going SR, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!  I'm sure you can fix it, just take a deep breath, and put your 'I will fix this' head on!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »
Thank you Jessie, I will do my best to find my "I will fix this" head and put it on the right way round ;)
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
Yesterday I turned my attention to the lining to take my mind of the disaster of the collar, the pattern is for an unlined jacket so I thought I'd figure out how to line it. I cut the required pieces and altered the centre back panel so it could be attached to the back facing, I tacked it all together then got the first jacket I made out of the wardrobe and pinned the lining to it and it worked well 0_0 that raised my spirits so I then unpicked the grotty collar ready to fix another day.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:02:56 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning