The Sewing Place

Summer Jacket and skirt

Silver Rose

Re: Summer Jacket and skirt
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 13:51:19 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and hand sewed the collar again then pressed the hell out of it, it looks much better and is OK. It wasn't without a few breath holding moments though, I pricked my finger and bled a bit but on the interfacing and then somehow managed to pick up a speck of dust or something and transfer it to the point of the lapel - it came off with a gentle sponging -  phew. I took pics but am having difficulty in uploading from my Google  account, I am using the Institute PC before going to the cinema.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Sorry about the blurry photo.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 13:55:15 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 14:25:50 PM »
Silver Rose your jacket is looking good  I notice that you mentioned you were having problems pressing this.  Now do you have a wooden clapper or point presser?  If not do you have a wooden rolling pin, or somewhere where you can buy a cheap wooden rolling pin.  When pressing, if you use one of these wooden tools, apply them and hold down for a bit and the wood absorbs the moisture and the pressure from the wood should leave a nice crisp edge.  You can also use these wooden tools to bang the daylights out of a stubborn item that refuses to oblige.  In fact  these wonderful wooden tools can be used on any item that needs help in getting it to lay flat, try  it and see for yourself just how good they are.

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 15:42:10 PM »
It looks really nice. I love the fabric. You should feel proud of it.

Silver Rose

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 18:17:30 PM »
Thank you Elnnina and Greybird, I can now carry on with more confidence and I have a lining sorted out. I want to find a special button next.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 14:23:19 PM »
Made progress today, sewn the side seams, fit is OK , sleeves and facings (cuffs) done, I hope to get sleeves in tomorrow. I have decided to make a pencil skirt to go with the jacket.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »
The sleeves are pinned in, I've got to make a few small adjustments to get rid of any gathers on the sleeve head, the lovely sapphire blue lining I tacked together goes really well with the paler blue of the jacket. I shall need some more lining fabric for the skirt, I have two exam jobs next week but I hope to go off to Norwich on Thursday to get lining and buttons, I must check my bag of zips for a suitable colour one for the skirt.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 16:00:58 PM »
The more I see of this blue lining the more I like it.

Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 13:41:43 PM »
Oh yes!  That looks lovely!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »
The sleeves are in and pucker free, I gave the jacket another good press so now ready for the lining. Today I'll give my machine a clean and change the needle and put the darker blue thread in ready to sew the lining together and put it in the jacket - if I've got time ;)
Still learning

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
That is very nice indeed.  I do love a good lining!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
It's looking good - the lining is a perfect colour
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
I'm on the last lap, the lining is in after some huffing and puffing :S and I plan to hand finish it today,I've just got to sew the gap I used to turn the jacket and finish securing the sleeves linings to the facing/cuff. I'll wait to do the sleeves until I have pressed the jacket again and see how the lining looks in the main body of the jacket, I might need to loosen the sleeve linings a bit. I've got enough of the fabric for a pencil skirt and a waistcoat. Hmm, we'll see.
I feel the need to make something easy ;)
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
It is finished apart from button and buttonhole.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »
I'm on the last lap, the lining is in after some huffing and puffing :S
Well done for persevering.  After a nightmare struggle with trying to bag a lining I don't even attempt it now.  I find it much quicker to sew a lining in by hand and it fits better.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2019, 14:21:26 PM »
As I haven't used my buttonhole foot a lot on my machine I've had a few practice goes and found out that it struggles with many layers of fabric. I made up a piece using 2 layers of fabric and one layer interfacing just like the jacket front but as soon as you get too near the thickness of the seam allowance (duly trimmed), the machine just sews on the spot :S and won't continue.  Anyway, when I sewed a few buttonholes keeping well clear of the edge of the jacket front it was fine. I haven't had a go on the jacket yet - too stressed, I'll move the buttonhole over a tad sometime. I've cut out the matching pencil skirt and then went out into the garden deadheading pansies and picked a few grape hyacinths for a little vase, my late Mum loved those little blue beauties.
Still learning