The Sewing Place

Summer Jacket and skirt

Ploshkin

Re: Summer Jacket and skirt
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2019, 14:32:13 PM »
If it's one of those long buttonhole feet @Silver Rose someone (Morgan I think) suggested using a hump jumper or equivalent at the back of the foot to keep the foot level.
It is one of the great disadvantages of a one step buttonhole.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 14:40:26 PM »
It has a long foot and it is a 4 step buttonhole - I've never heard of a hump jumper (snigger, snigger) but I  was wondering about the way the foot seemed to drop at the front and of course that would impede its progress across the fabric. Thanks for the tip @Ploshkin, another day tomorrow, I've had enough for today.
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2019, 14:51:52 PM »
Hi Silver Rose, sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your buttonholes.  One other way you can do these is by making bound buttonholes, they really are easy to sew and look superb.  I first learnt how to do these when I was still at school.

In addition to what Ploshkin has mentioned, i.e. the Humper Jumper, there is also another similar gadget called Jean-a-ma-jig which does the same sort of thing.  Not knowing what your machine is why not pop into Franklin's and see what they have, you never know there may be a special accessory for your particular make of machine.  If by chance you have a Bernina, Bernina do a tool that is specifically for doing buttonholes on thicker than normal fabrics, especially when you have the facing seam, so it might be worth exploring what Franklin's have.  It is a very long time since I was in that shop - in fact my mother bought her Bernina from there way back in 1975 - I now have this machine.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 15:10:50 PM »
It sews on the spot because the foot tilts when you hit the thick part. Use a bit of card under the other end to level it. If you try on a sample with a seam you should see the improvement.
Oh,.didn't see others have already covered this. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 15:13:04 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 15:19:01 PM »
A hump jumper was new to me too @Silver Rose and I read the thread and dismissed it as something I was unlikely to need.
Roll on a couple of weeks/months and lo and behold I'm piecing a fiddly piece of patchwork and run up against lumpy seams. A folded piece of card (cereal box type weight) popped in behind the foot and away she went. Give it a try and see if it helps. I've never used it on a buttonhole foot but it works a treat on my normal feet!  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Silver Rose

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 15:53:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I got my machine from Franklins in Ipswich about 7 years ago, it is an Alfa next30, not expensive but I like it, it works well for me.
Still learning

Flobear

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 19:46:21 PM »
Hump jumper new to me too. So glad I read this fred.
Thank you  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 20:17:48 PM »
More info here @FloBear
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 21:13:58 PM »
Yes, it's that thing you always get in the accessory box of a sewing machine and have no idea what it's supposed to do.

Flobear

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 22:24:08 PM »
Thank you @wrenkins
@Ploshkin , I will look and see if I have one. 

Flobear

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2019, 14:22:07 PM »
Ta-da!!

Ploshkin

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2019, 15:26:30 PM »
For how long have you had that @FloBear ?
I presume you were aware it had a hole in it for holding a needle when you change it.

Flobear

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 16:18:20 PM »
@Ploshkin It came with my Pfaff so at least 4 years, possibly 5  :|

I had no idea about the needle holding hole. You mentioned not long ago that I should have a needle holding thing but, although I looked, I couldn't see one in my kit. It's quite hard to see a lone hole, I din't know it would be surrounded by grey plastic  0_0

Silver Rose

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »
I've been practising a few more button holes now I know what the problem was. Now I have a silly question  - which is best, to sew the buttonhole towards the edge of the jacket from the middle or to start from the edge  and sew towards the middle? Sorry if that seems a pathetic question.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
I would sew away from the jacket edge, but I'm not a professional...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.