The Sewing Place

Bemburg cupro lining

Holly Berry

Bemburg cupro lining
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I have some beautiful fabric (polyester) which unfortunately will require lining for modesty reasons. I’m making https://butterick.mccall.com/b6412

I don’t want to line in polyester as it will be mainly worn in the summer or in the evening and think it will be too hot, especially the bodice. Cotton wouldn’t be suitable either as the dress fabric has a wonderful drape. I want the skirt to be a little longer and have less body than the pattern picture.

I’ve read about Bemburg and thought it would be a great alternative. Has anybody used it and will it be cooler than polyester. Calico Lane has some at £9.99, and I need 3 mtrs, so don’t want to spend £30 on lining that’s not suitable.

Thanks in advance
Procrastination get behind me

Greybird

Re: Bemburg cupro lining
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
I don't know about the Bemburg - I've never used it, but I did make my grand-daughter a dress in cotton lawn that also had a cotton lawn lining and it draped very well - would be much cheaper.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
This is the fabric.

@Greybird, yes cotton lawn maybe an alternative, thank you.

elisep

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »
I'm very sensitive to synthetic fibres, I get very hot very easily. Therefore I tend to stick to natural fibres where possible. I try to line with silk when I can find it at a reasonable price, but if I can't, and it needs a silky lining, I use Bemberg/Cupro lining.
It has a much nicer feel than Acetate or polyester, added bonus is it irons beautifully and less likely to melt under the iron!
They use Bemberg a lot in men's suits and waistcoats, or at least in the nicer ones (I'm sure the cheaper ones are poly).
I can't feel the difference between Bemberg and natural fibres for breathability.
To save yourself some meterage you could line the bodice in cotton and the skirt in Bemberg?

Hope that helps!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
I love Bemberg lining, it drapes beautifully and feels great on the skin.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 15:00:38 PM »

Missie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 15:10:28 PM »
I love Bemberg lining, it drapes beautifully and feels great on the skin.

Exactly what I was going to say!

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 18:43:40 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

@Ohsewsimple, thanks for the recommendation. Such an array of colours. I have bookmarked it.

I’m going to go with the Bemberg on this occasion on the basis it’s been recommended by 2 people who live in tropical climates (or at least very hot) so it should be cool for our weather.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 19:22:26 PM »
Not Bemburg but this from Fabworks. It is light weight and very soft next to the skin.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

justpottering

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
oh my goodness @Holly Berry I wish you hadn't shown me that pattern - I'm going to have to buy it now and I really really don't need any more patterns, but you see I have this wedding in July and I am thinking that dress would be perfect  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:14 AM »
That pattern is lovely.  Wish I had an occasion (or the figure) to wear it!

Look forward to seeing it made up!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
oh my goodness @Holly Berry I wish you hadn't shown me that pattern - I'm going to have to buy it now and I really really don't need any more patterns, but you see I have this wedding in July and I am thinking that dress would be perfect  :loveit:
...but didn't I just read that you have five (5) drawers full of patterns of which one would most certainly do...or was that someone else with a similar name (but not a similar kitchen cos yours is new)?  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Holly Berry

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
This pattern was a freebie. One of my sewing group didn’t want it,so it was too much of a temptation!! I too have soooo many patterns.