The Sewing Place

Simplicity jacket

Ellabella

Simplicity jacket
« on: March 04, 2019, 19:43:27 PM »
I am attempting to make this using this.

I can't decide how to best utilize the diagonal effect of the fabric, which is quite pronounced.

The fronts  could form a vee but then do I do the sides in the opposite way and then what do I do with the back?

Or am I overthinking the whole thing and would I be best having all the lines the same way?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 19:45:47 PM by Ellabella »

Tamnymore

Re: Simplicity jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 22:26:35 PM »
Nice fabric and pattern.I suppose this is always a potential issue with twill fabrics though many don't have such an obvious pattern. I think I would just follow the pattern layout and it should work out ok.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

Re: Simplicity jacket
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 22:45:07 PM »
It doesn't look like a pronounced diagonal effect and you could just treat it as a plain fabric, which is what the pattern layout would do. The diagonals would then all be going in the same direction. Closer up however the effect will be greater. You could do the fronts to give a V effect and reverse the other panels following on so that each one is travelling in the opposite direction from the one next to it. You would need to put an extra centre seam in the back and this would give you an inverted V in the middle. Be interested to see how it works out, either way.