The Sewing Place

Momento Mori

wrenkins

Re: Momento Mori
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 10:33:27 AM »
No no it's not a stash. It's a leather jacket with a hole in it!  :o
Now what about some nice lederhosen?  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 00:41:18 AM »
That is a fantastic first project, I am looking forward to many more coming  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
Wow that’s very impressive @Mick for a first project. 
No it’s not a stash as it’s recycling.  Love that! 
But yes you probably are in danger of having a stash.....you joined this forum! :)

snoozi soozi

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
@Mick well done, I found leather quite tricky to work with, the stitching looked cr*p, I probably used incorrect thread tbh.

In the future If I decide to attempt another leather thingy I'll probably pester you for advice  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Surest1tch

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 18:52:08 PM »
Excellent, well done Mick

Marniesews

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 19:21:06 PM »
That's a great item to keep as your first sewn item. You've put a lot more into that wallet than just leather, thread & perspiration.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lilian

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 19:40:07 PM »
@Mick That's a wonderful thing to make from an old jacket and you've made a lovely wallet to remember all the road times  :ninja:.  I have sewn leather before and I found a rotary cutter, quilting ruler and cutting mat the best way to get neat straight cuts.  Might be worth investing in.  I also used pinking shears for some of the edges which gives it a pleasant zigzag finish.  :)

Well done, you're on your way now ... :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Radiofan

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 18:11:29 PM »
I would have been tempted to cut the sleeves off and turn it into a short sleeve or sleeveless jacket.

Black leather cream would have worked wonders on the rest of the jacket, providing it with the colour and the nourishment it needs. I applied some to a jacket I purchased in the early 90s and it came out like new.

Pocket linings can be fixed. I get quite attached to my jackets.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Nevis5

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 18:17:56 PM »
Yay, well done, @Mick  , you're braver than me, I would never have attempted leather for my first project.  From now on, everything will be a breeze by comparison  :devil: