The Sewing Place

Prima magazine pattern sizing

WildAtlanticWay

Prima magazine pattern sizing
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
I have a question about magazine paper patterns please.

I was sorting through some old boxes of stuff and discovered 5 Prima paper patterns that are about 10 years old. I remember getting a magazine subscription one year as a Xmas present from my sister and I obviously saved a few patterns thinking I might get around to sewing them when I have some spare time.

Are they easy enough patterns to follow and what’s the sizing like on them?

Flobear

Re: Prima magazine pattern sizing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
I always found them easy to follow, I still have  few that I use occasionally.
Hard to comment on sizing as I haven't used them for a while. I'm pretty sure they came up plenty big enough.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
I've always found Prima Patterns to be very good, and easy to follow.  Before you start, just measure the pieces against your own measurements just to check.

I haven't made any Prima patterns for many years, but they used to be my go to patterns as they were quick and straightforward.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
I found that they always come up big so check measurements carefully.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

maliw

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 14:54:26 PM »
I too used to like Prima patterns - to the point where I've bought them off e---. The last ones I made up were for DD as maternity clothes, they were very true to size and what fitted her +bump fitted me (without bump). She wore and wore them some for a couple of years after. Yes I like Prima patterns :)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 16:55:36 PM »
I like Prima patterns too and generally find that I should sew the size I buy in UK shops, which is an 18.
The only thing I sewed which came out a little large was an outerwear jacket/coat where I wanted to wear the jacket indoors as part of a suit rather than as a coat. It clearly had extra ease to be outerwear so was too big as a suit jacket.

I find the styles are simple to sew and the instructions are better than Burda magazine but less than a New Look pattern.

I hasd a subscription for years and have quite a big stash of patterns, however I stopped my subscription last year so don't have the new ones.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for your positive comments. I feel more inclined to have a go now.   :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 15:24:58 PM »
I've only used 1 Prima pattern and it did come up big but I wasn't worried because it was only for a wrap dressing gown but it was really easy to make up.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 18:39:04 PM »
I've made skirts, a coat, a cardigan, a jacket (and a dress but that was for someone else smaller/slimmer than me) all from Prima patterns. I have not made any trousers from Prima as I have a Burda shaped bottom so try to use their trousers most of the time!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 19:22:00 PM »
I have not made any trousers from Prima as I have a Burda shaped bottom so try to use their trousers most of the time!

What’s a Burda shaped bottom?? My mind is boggled.

jintie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 19:28:16 PM »
Ruthie, did you get the Burda shaped bottom from the pile of mags I gave you a while back? If you want rid of thePrima patterns, just send them down
Rottweiler with scissors

maliw

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 19:58:48 PM »
My 'classic dress' go to pattern is a Prima one, it's years old but the design doesn't change. I've also made other dresses, skirts, tops - I can't remember trousers. Most of the patterns are fairly easy and usually well drafted if simple.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 22:32:48 PM »
Ruthie, did you get the Burda shaped bottom from the pile of mags I gave you a while back? If you want rid of thePrima patterns, just send them down

@jintie I have Burda's from several sources, and the angle of the crotch curve works really well for me. Where I got duplicate issues I passed them on to another sewist at some internet meetup thingy I went to, she seemed happy.

@WildAtlanticWay Burda has a back crotch which is much longer than the front, it is also at quite a steep angle, so being basically on the bias it has some natural stretch which seems to accommodate quite a few shapes of big/round/low bottoms quite well. Its not great for the flat bottomed, but that's never been me.