The Sewing Place

summer wedding guest

justpottering

summer wedding guest
« on: March 05, 2019, 16:03:38 PM »
We have our nieces wedding in July this is what I fancy making for it

https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/b6554-misses-wrap-dresses-pattern#.XH6ckfZ2vL8

View B

I like the flow of it, and I also think it would make a nice summer frock that I would wear out and about afterwards, all I have to do is decide on the fabric.

The only concern I have is that I think the sleeves are a fabulous feature, but the wedding although July is in Scotland and I know from experience that if it's a nice day it's wonderful but it tends to be rather chillier than here and it wouldn't take a jacket/cardi

And do you think it will be too low in the front to hide my woolly vest?  0_0 0_0
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

StitchinTime

Re: summer wedding guest
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 16:12:30 PM »
And do you think it will be too low in the front to hide my woolly vest?  0_0 0_0

Wear a long sleeved woolly vest and make a feature of it and solve the jacket issue at the same time :P

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 16:50:23 PM »
Pretty dress, very summery. No chance of a woolly semmit under that one! Could you manage with a warm wrap of some sort?

My son's wedding was in Northumberland in July and the maximum temperature that day was 12C. That was a few years ago. If we have another summer like last year's, on the other hand, you'll be fine.

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 16:52:09 PM »
I’ve made wraps for myself before so think it should work I like raglan sleeves but I am going to make a toile soon to make sure I like it as much as I think I do if not I’ll go searching

You know how it is I am not as thin nor the shape of that model so I might hate it on me  :D

Thanks for the feedback Fran and stitch I love that idea  0_0
Scoutie I’ll be fine I’ll shiver for the outside bits and be toastier inside having lived in Scotland I know that occasionally it can be warm (ish) hopefully it will be one of those days
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 16:54:40 PM by justpottering »
JP

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 16:54:36 PM »
Don't forget your matching anti-midge hat JP

justpottering

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 16:57:01 PM »
Don't forget your matching anti-midge hat JP

Now here’s a funny thing midges don’t like me very much I hardly ever get bitten and when I do it’s once DH on the other hand gets eaten alive
Must be something in my makeup I wish I knew what and I wish I could bottle it my fortune would be guaranteed!
Although I could make a matching one just to keep in with the theme  0_0
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 16:58:32 PM by justpottering »
JP

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 16:59:05 PM »
Same here, jp - and it's the same with horseflies.  I sat next to Mr Acorn outside on a farm last summer.  It was noticeable (to other people as well as us!) that the horseflies landed on and bit him, but completely ignored me.

I could almost be offended...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 17:03:48 PM »
I'm just the same.

DH is eaten alive and I remain bite free.

He says this is because he is sweet and tasty, I on the other hand are bitter and crabby.

I don't care 0_0 and tell him so as I pass the calamine.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 17:06:05 PM »
If the pattern works for you it would be lovely.  A lightweight wrap or shawl would be the obvious answer to providing a little bit of extra warmth if needed.

Vogue 8470 is not to dissimilar and has teh same sort of floaty sleeves; I made it for a fairly posh do a year or so ago and apart from the little front neck insert it was quite easy.  Without that insert the neckline was too low for me, but a simple triangle of fabric works just as well as the complicated thingumy-wotsit of the pattern would have done.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 18:15:07 PM »
Same here, jp - and it's the same with horseflies.  I sat next to Mr Acorn outside on a farm last summer.  It was noticeable (to other people as well as us!) that the horseflies landed on and bit him, but completely ignored me.

I could almost be offended...

Don't be offended, acorn, horseflies like some disgusting stuff. Take it as a compliment!

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 18:17:21 PM »
JP, with your tolerance of low temperatures and resistance to midges, you should have moved to the Highlands, not Devon!

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 19:36:40 PM »
Do you knit?

I made this last summer https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=4930&cid=19.

It’s knitted on large needles so doesn’t take very long and is lovely and warm if it gets chilly.
Procrastination get behind me

justpottering

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 21:39:36 PM »
Ooo that might work and yes I knit  :)
JP

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 22:50:23 PM »
That would make a nice summer dress and ideal for a wedding.  Like the wrap idea. Not so sure about the woolly vest :P

justpottering

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
Ok folks some suggestions needed

The pattern does not suggest fabric types, so I would like suggestions of what you think might work for it, I have a few ideas but opinions are welcomed
JP