The Sewing Place

Mesh/sheer fabric

Antonia

Mesh/sheer fabric
« on: March 07, 2019, 19:29:29 PM »
Hi,

I’m hoping to put a sheer mesh sleeve onto my daughter’s prom dress.  Any suggestions for a good mesh fabric? It’s red.

Thanks in advance. 

Goth Gardiner

Re: Mesh/sheer fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 20:47:15 PM »
What type of fabric is the dress made of and what style of sleeve do you want to add.

To me mesh suggets a soft fabric which quite large holes: the sort of thing uses in sports wear.

For a prom dress I would use chiffon If you want something floaty or organza for something a bit more structured.

Red can be difficult to match though so if you can't find a match you might consider a contrast; for me I would go.black but perhaps for a prom a pale pink?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 21:45:45 PM »
I’d go and look in Abakhan...lots of meshy type stuff in there.

Lollipop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 22:50:36 PM »
I use a lot of stretch mesh on dancewear. It drapes beautifully and is very well behaved. No fraying and has nice elasticity and recovery. Trim It and Chrisanne  have the best.
Was Sewnanny

Antonia

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 23:26:35 PM »
Thank you all for your advice,it is much appreciated.  I will have a look in Abakhan and the two websites mentioned.  If it gets tricky to match up with the main fabric which hasn’t been decided upon as yet, we have a few ideas tho, I’ll perhaps leave the sleeve out. 

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
I agree with Lollipop. They both call it stretch net although it seems more commonly called stretch mesh elsewhere. More importantly, Trim-It is great quality but also significantly cheaper than either Chrisanne Clover or DSI-London the latter have several different types, you want their 1335 mesh.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Antonia

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 19:13:03 PM »
Thank you Marniesews I have ordered samples from Chrisanne Clover and it’s good to have an actual reference number.  I’ll ask Trimit for samples too as it has to match the main fabric so I’ll need as many shades of red as I can get. 

The advice on this forum is invaluable.  Thank you all so much.