The Sewing Place

Help please.....

snoozi soozi

Help please.....
« on: March 05, 2019, 17:01:17 PM »
Oh dear, I'm feeling v out of my depth with this one. Re: previous post on the Sarah shirt toile, I have made a second toile with larger sleeves, having jiggled about with blending them into the armhole of the shirt, but it looks so wrong I'm wondering whether to carry on.  Thing is I don't know what to do with regard to fitting and alterating.

As it is right now, I can get the sleeve on but the shirt shoulder hangs below my shoulder, but I need the room in the back so I can stretch my arms forward.

What's the usual procedure with this kind of thing? Should I make a larger size shirt altogether and make adjustments on all of it? I need different size shirt, sleeve, yoke and the bl**dy lot, aaarrrrgh!

In case you can't tell I'm stressed

Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

Re: Help please.....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 17:14:02 PM »
A photo would help us a lot.

If the arm scye seam is too low you need to shorten the shoulder seam.  If you do that by moving the whole of the armscye towards the centre of the body it should make the complete arm hole bigger.

If it's still tight across the back you need to make the back bodice wider.  Sometimes a pleat below the yoke is enough to do that, sometimes it means a bigger size all round.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.