The Sewing Place

Zadie

Francesca

Re: Zadie
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 23:04:38 PM »
Not so much fun if you're on the receiving end.....

It's usually justified. For example, GOMI was the place that alerted me to some of the awful underhanded tactics of Colette (copying designs and claiming as their own unique thing... I'm talking direct copies not just inspiration, and how they deleted comments asking why pictures of garments for things they are selling were photo-edited to remove poor fit after people asked if they were going to address said fit issues... saying that women shouldn't criticise their poor business practices because of feminism... so many other things). If you are a brand, you should expect criticism IMO especially if you are making money.

I criticise brands and businesses all the time. Don't see why this is different for "blogosphere" types just because their brand is also their name.

My problem with Tilly patterns is that I just cannot trust drafting from certain indies. When you look at their blogs and they sew badly and then make a pattern and you're left thinking "do you know how to sew?" let alone draft something...

She's put out dresses before which literally have the same pattern pieces front and back. What are boobs anyway?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 23:20:55 PM by Francesca »

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
She's put out dresses before which literally have the same pattern pieces front and back. What are boobs anyway?

0_0  0_0 What other women have.

Cashmerette is another blogger who comes in for a lot of bashing on GOMI, but she at least oversees decent drafts.  I didn't lilke the Appleton because I thought a flared skirt should have been an option, but I love the Washington, Upton, and Turner dresses.  I think the vitriol towards her stems from envy.

Efemera

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »
So should I stay away from the Zadie dress?

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
I would.  Seemingly, the same dress

but there is cleary something off with the scaling up as otherwise, why does the pink version look like an empire line?

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
0_0  0_0 What other women have.

Cashmerette is another blogger who comes in for a lot of bashing on GOMI, but she at least oversees decent drafts. 

I'm quite surprised at that- she does at least seem to understand her own body, and designs good basic shapes.  I have heard a lot of praise for her patterns too, and not from little fangirl stick insects, but from women who have lumps and bumps to deal with [I won't say curves, that phrase also pisses me off royally, especially when used to describe men!]

I was, for a short while, a member of the Curvy Sewing Collective Facebook group, but got VERY pissed off with some of the more mimsy yanks who tried to make it a 'women only safe zone' where they could share pictures of their mumus.  It started as being about helping one another with fitting issues [several posted pictures of themselves wearing their creations BACKWARDS can you believe?] and that was fine, but there is no fitting needed in a tent.  And they were alllllllll only after free patterns.  It got very annoying, so I left, along with quite a few others!

So nice to be back here again...
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Interesting 2 see both versions side by side Utta ... I've seen a lot of cutting and colour blocking which minimises the chest but the black and white version makes her look like she has no chest at all... I can certainly see the 'little girl' effect that has been mentioned...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »

I was, for a short while, a member of the Curvy Sewing Collective Facebook group, but got VERY pissed off with some of the more mimsy yanks who tried to make it a 'women only safe zone' where they could share pictures of their mumus.  It started as being about helping one another with fitting issues [several posted pictures of themselves wearing their creations BACKWARDS can you believe?]

Ugh, the 'mama care bears support groups' get on my nerves.  Suddenly it's no longer about the main issues, but about society as a whole and how they are being got at.  Well we can all live in that self-reflecting bubble, but it doesn't help in the real world.

As I said, the flack that Jenni gets is largely envy for her 'privileged' lifestyle.

Francesca

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Ugh, the 'mama care bears support groups' get on my nerves.  Suddenly it's no longer about the main issues, but about society as a whole and how they are being got at.  Well we can all live in that self-reflecting bubble, but it doesn't help in the real world.

As I said, the flack that Jenni gets is largely envy for her 'privileged' lifestyle.

What is her privileged lifestyle? I know she's from the UK but moved to the US but beyond that no idea what she does with her life except make patterns! I've tried out a few of her patterns and though I haven't yet completed a full garment they have all had exceptional fit with very few alterations (only the ones I usually need for myself) and I can't wait for her to put out more. The only thing I think is that she doesn't put enough variations in one pattern and tends to put out "new" patterns which are really just variants at full price. That annoys me, but it's a small thing in comparison to someone like Tilly who can't sew and doesn't know what boobs are. I guess her patterns work well for those that share a similar figure to herself though, so there is probably a market.

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
Yeah I don't know about any privileged lifestyle either.
The Tilly ones all seem to be blatant rip offs of vintage patterns, which she just repackages, or very very simple, childlike shapes.  Add in the pigeon toed stance and the smugly dimpled weird head angles, and I just want to go to the fish market for the largest, wettest, least fresh fish I can find...

Another one I'm unimpressed with is 'Cake' as they all seem very shapeless too.  I know, I know, if it's what people want blah blah.

And of course, don't get me started on Hot Patterns...

I'll  keep to my Vogue and Style Arc major preference I think!
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
I've looked at this Zadie and am wondering what those pockets will look like after a few wearings with hands shoved in -  baggy or what?  Not keen.

Am now off to investigate GOMI!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 15:41:38 PM »
Jenny's day job is this and I imagine she leads a fairly privileged life.  ;)

Cake Patterns is in transition and may disappear in due course.

Trudy (Hot Patterns) recently withdraw a pattern as despite testing by them, nobody could sew it.  I've been searching for the exact reference, but can't find it.

UPDATE: found the annoucement, ahem:

Note the graceful withdrawal, NOT.  0_0

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 15:56:40 PM by UttaRetch »

DaisyChain

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 15:53:21 PM »
So should I stay away from the Zadie dress?

I should imagine most people on this forum would probably give you lots of valid reasons why you should save your pounds, however for some strange reason lots of people appear to adore this brand.
                             WARNING

Anyone with boobage, a desire not to dress like a little girl or a sensitive aesthetic disposition please go off and make a cup of tea.  :drink:

The SEW British Sewing Awards for 2016 awarded:
the best pattern house to.... Tilly and the Buttons...   >:)
the best sewing blog to .... Tilly and the Buttons...    >:)
and the favourite sewing personality to ...... Tilly Walnes   

????????

:gin:         :|   

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 15:57:44 PM »
That just proves that sane, intelligent people don't bother voting.  And there we have it, Tilly plus Trump plus Brexit, all in one go...
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 16:09:11 PM »
A triumph of style over content. :devil:  This is what sewing means now.  :(

Lyn-J

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 16:22:05 PM »
I'm currently watching Merchant and Mills, The Maker's Atelier and Sew Over It
I would like the books from the first two and already have the e-book Capsule Wardrobe from SOI.
Opinions please.