The Sewing Place

Zadie

DementedFairy

Re: Zadie
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 16:29:28 PM »
Ruth of Core Couture has made lots of the M&M stuff, get thee over to her blog for a look. There are some very nice classic shapes there.
 The capsule wardrobe stuff [if it's the one I'm thinking of] doesn't appeal to me, all a bit shapeless and basic, but several bloggers have worked on them with decent effect
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 16:50:56 PM »
I'm going to look for something similar from the big4... at the risk of being fish slapped or tied up with bunting...... I quite like the little girl look....(runs and hides)

UttaRetch

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 17:29:32 PM »
Merchant & Mills can be a bit dull and worthy, BUT I love the

Trapezette and M&M even suggest suitable fabrics.

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 17:39:23 PM »
I'm a bit late to this party but I can't really see the appeal of Tilly patterns. No idea about the drafting but they don't seem all that interesting to me. I imagine you could get something similar from Butterick, Simplicity, Burda etc at a cheaper price - considerably cheaper if it is in one of their sales.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lyn-J

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 17:41:55 PM »
Thanks DF, I'm reading Ruth's report on Merchant and Mills. There are links to a lot of the things she has made. I particularly like the fabric she has chosen for the Heron top.
Dull and Worthy
:)
Good luck with your search Efemera, Do let us know how you get on. I think you made the right decision.

UttaRetch

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 19:47:14 PM »
@Efemera: Simplicity 1277.

Are you up to adapting the bodice?

DementedFairy

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 19:50:26 PM »
I'm going to look for something similar from the big4... at the risk of being fish slapped or tied up with bunting...... I quite like the little girl look....(runs and hides)

Each to her own...but I feel I'd look like Baby Jane if I tried anything like that.
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 20:04:58 PM »
Haha that's a classic, DF! I think I would also look like this in my rescued Laura Ashley 1970s milkmaid dresses.

Sorta looks like a malignant Stanley Baxter Christmas special.  :devil:

I agree UR. I think we are safer with the big 4 and that's a nice pattern with not a whiff of Baby Jane or Stanley Baxter.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 20:07:42 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Efemera

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 21:32:05 PM »
@Efemera: Simplicity 1277.

Are you up to adapting the bodice?

I've just seen this on the curvy sewing collective...looks as if it could easily adapted

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 23:14:18 PM »
Jenny's day job is this and I imagine she leads a fairly privileged life.  ;)

So her privilege is that she has a good job? I mean, I can think of better things to be privileged with I'm not going to lie  -<

UttaRetch

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
 0_0  0_0 I don't think she is working for peanuts and would think her salary allows her to have quite a good life.

Francesca

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
0_0  0_0 I don't think she is working for peanuts and would think her salary allows her to have quite a good life.

Yeah I know. I just imagined it'd be something more exciting haha. Like a millionaire uncle or celebrity husband or something, rather than "has good job". Good on her, pretty amazing to have a full-on job like that and also run a pattern company that's doing really well!

UttaRetch

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
As I said, I like Jenny's patterns, although her smallest size is too large for me, and she doesn't deserve the flack she gets on GOMI, so I can only assume that it stems from misplaced envy.