The Sewing Place

Rolled Hem foot

aprilla

Rolled Hem foot
« on: March 09, 2019, 17:52:00 PM »
 :loveit:
I used my rolled hem foot yesterday and what was I afraid of??? I loved it!
Starting out is a bit of work sometimes, but then all the work is done for you. A-mazing.

The one I have came with the machine, I presume it's 'small'. It worked so nicely on a light (chiffon-y) fabric, I hemmed the front and back of a top, and then the sleeves too, I just kept on going...

I find myself wondering about different sizes, how they are useful and if they are worth having? The tutorial that I used to get started had different sizes but didn't say anything about when or why they are useful. It did show how to get started very clearly though.

Anyone else liking their rolled hem foot/feet?

Efemera

Re: Rolled Hem foot
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 17:55:58 PM »
I use mine quite a bit...to start off I thread a needle and take the thread through the end of the fabric, the thread gives you something to gently pull on as it starts through the foot.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 19:21:11 PM »
It does depend to some extent on how curved the hem is for me, I have the 2mm and 4mm feet.
I have bought a set of three wide rolled hem feet, 1/2",3/4" and 1". Won't fit all my machines but worth changing when I need long runs.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 19:23:53 PM »
I have a rolled hem foot for the 401g, but I've never used it. I'm sure Ephemera's tip for starting off will be very useful for when I give rolled hems a try.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 19:43:17 PM »
I love my rolled hem foot. So useful for those leftover chiffon peices that I make into scarves  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 20:07:09 PM »
Thank you for posting this! Just the other day I cut off about a third of an over wide long chiffon type long scarf which makes it about right for wearing and I was pondering how best to neaten the cut edge. I'm not sure of the width of the foot which came with my Janome machine though.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 20:08:58 PM »
Thank you for posting this! Just the other day I cut off about a third of an over wide long chiffon type long scarf which makes it about right for wearing and I was pondering how best to neaten the cut edge. I'm not sure of the width of the foot which came with my Janome machine though.

@Helen M I don't think it will matter too much unless it is very very wide, which I doubt.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

aprilla

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 20:17:33 PM »
I use mine quite a bit...to start off I thread a needle and take the thread through the end of the fabric, the thread gives you something to gently pull on as it starts through the foot.
Yes. That is the way the tutorial showed to start out, but not with a needle, using the machine for a stitch or two. It can be a bit tricky on my machine, it's hard to lower the foot while keeping the fabric in place, but so worth the efforts.

aprilla

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 20:19:05 PM »
I love my rolled hem foot. So useful for those leftover chiffon peices that I make into scarves  :) :vintage:
Thanks for this, a most useful tip that I'm sure I will use.

aprilla

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 20:26:08 PM »
It does depend to some extent on how curved the hem is for me, I have the 2mm and 4mm feet.
I have bought a set of three wide rolled hem feet, 1/2",3/4" and 1". Won't fit all my machines but worth changing when I need long runs.

Are there times when you will use the larger sizes rather than a small one toileandtrouble? Can you say when and why? I'm so happy with this first effort the temptation to get one in every size is strong... I'm trying to resist until I find out if they'll be of use to have. Thanks :)