The Sewing Place

Raglan sleeves

Thecostumelady

Raglan sleeves
« on: March 08, 2019, 14:59:32 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm trying to convert the Jalie ballet leotard pattern with set in sleeves to a raglan sleeve as the customer wants a contrast sleeve and it looks a bit odd with the set in sleeve.  I am also taking the neckline higher and rounder to accommodate the raglan seam.  My brains are scrambled and for the life of me I can't remember how to do it!  I have drawn a raglan line in from the armhole balance points to the neckline and cut off the triangle bit to add to the sleeve head but I'm left with a large dart when I join the shoulder seam and it just doesn't seem to look right.  I'm still fiddling with the  tissue traced pattern so haven't actually tried it in lycra yet.  I'm wondering if it would be better if I flattened the sleeve head a bit and started again.  Any tips?  Ann x

Thecostumelady

Re: Raglan sleeves
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 18:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the links Morgan.  I did actually see the first one when I was casting about in desperation.  That sleeve head looks much flatter than mine, which made me think I should change mine. It sits flatter against the shoulder seam.  I'll have another go tomorrow.  Ann x

Lollipop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 23:03:15 PM »
Jalie Ballet unitard has raglan sleeves Ann. It would be a simple hack to raise the neckline for a collar.
Was Sewnanny

Thecostumelady

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »
Thanks for that Lollipop, I hadn't realised what a useful pattern that was,  I will have to get that one for future reference.  In fact it was my husband who pointed out to me that I was wasting time (read money!) agonising how to do the hack when I could just buy a different pattern that had the bits on that I need. Duhh...idiot!  So, I have sent for Jalie Valerie 3668 which has a raglan and is actually a crop top which is what I need, and also has something called a 'rashguard' (?). Looks like a nice zipped jacket.  In the meantime I can get on with a tutu which I can do with my eyes shut!  Why do I always make things hard work for myself? Won't enter for Businesswoman of the year then? But I will buy that ballet unitard pattern.  Thanks again.   Ann x