The Sewing Place

Easter Chick ballroom dress - harrumph!

Marniesews

Easter Chick ballroom dress - harrumph!
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:15:53 AM »
Someone's just remembered what fun it is (for them) getting the dancers to dress up for a couple's dance at the regional comps! Last time it was a Christmas theme and I wasn't too impressed with all the sewing jobs I already had to do. >< DGD is in a girl couple (new partner) so I had two extra dresses to make - thank goodness it was only latin.

The next one is going to be in April (a bit earlier than usual) so some wag thought it a great idea to branch out and impose an Easter theme this time! I've noticed none of the organisers choose to join in with the fancy dress themselves :angry: ...but I'm now starting on two Easter chick ballroom dresses.   :\  I'm trying to cut down costs by making the skirt mid calf or wherever the biggest circle I can get out in one piece happens to fall. I've found some yellow lycra left over from a costume a couple of years ago so I'm starting their leotards tomorrow.

I'm planning to get some yellow feathers to stick on the crin edge of the skirt (to avoid all the underskirts - they may well never wear it again) and I bought two yellow boas yesterday to hang as floats baby chick wings from their elbows to centre backs. The crin is white (already have some) and I don't want to have to buy yellow so I'm going to put a white waistband on the skirt and white circular flounce on the end of the elbow length sleeves. I did a flounce at the neck last time but it was nowhere near full enough so I don't fancy wasting loads of fabric cutting out all those extra circles. Any thoughts for a neck finish? White lycra binding or neckband perhaps?

Any other other ideas for chick touches you can suggest? We've found a ready made feather plume headress so at least that will be sorted (must order it soon). I know I'll love it when I see those cute chicks quickstepping around the room...but not right now.  :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

Re: Easter Chick ballroom dress - harrumph!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »
Good luck with that MS!  I sewed yellow for the Belle Dresses, and was heartily sick of the colour after 3 frocks!

Look forward to seeing it finished.

What about one of those fancy masks with the beak attached, and feathers along the edge.... Sorry it's the only idea that springs to mind - I'll get me coat....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »
When I taught in a primary school children wore orange rubber gloves for chickens' feet in stage productions.
Wouldn't work for ballroom dancing would it  0_0

I'll get my coat.
Life's too short for ironing.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 14:06:48 PM »
Hehe, no worse than some other suggestions that have come up.  :devil: The girls don't really want to look too silly (well my dgd doesn't, her partner is pretty easy going).

Quickstep doesn't help either and I've not worked with feathers before. It's got lots of hopping & galloping in the routine which will be lovely but an added costume limitation. I foresee clouds of yellow feathers in their wake! Wouldn't it be terrible if one of the organisers swallowed one by accident?  :o
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.