The Sewing Place

Alice in Wonderland Pattern

MelK

Alice in Wonderland Pattern
« on: March 10, 2019, 13:02:47 PM »
Hi all! Looking to make a alice in wonderland costume (original cartoon style) for myself soon, and was wondering if anyone knew of any good patterns? I was looking at a McCall's 4948 but seems to be sold out most places im trying to find it.  :( :(

Pearl

datcat23

Re: Alice in Wonderland Pattern
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 20:38:11 PM »
Its quite a simple design, I shouldn't think you would need a pattern.  Have a look through your current patterns.  Basically all you need is a crew neck bodice, with sleeves (easy enough to make them puffy), and then a rectangle gathered for the skirt.  Top that with a simple bib apron (another gathered rectangle), and you are done.  Consider making an underskirt to puff out the skirt, to really add to the costume. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 21:11:02 PM »
McCall's site has it for sale cheap right now. With the exorbitant shipping to you you'd pay just a few dollars more than the regular price. Pricey, but an option.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 04:22:04 AM »
Didn't @b15erk  or @Bodgeitandscarper  make an Alice in Wonderland costume for her GD a year or so ago?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
Not me, no grandchildren - yet  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:17 AM »
I did one for Lilya a few years ago Im.  No Alice pattern needed.  I just used a dress pattern which looked similar in style to the one Alice was wearing, and then, I did my own apron pattern using the bodice as a guide for coverage, and referring to the original drawings.

I've attached a few pictures.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
thats the one!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:14 AM »
Basic bodice, puffed sleeves, full skirt and peter pan collar.  Petticoat, pantaloons, and basic pinafore/apron with wide straps.

Simplicity has 8669 view B as a good apron starting point, round the neckline (and you can see what I mean) and 8686, pleated skirt which would look less full on the body.

Here is a real life Alice during the animation showing how the dress should look.

But like everyone says, this is very likely one of the easiest things to make, and not much of a pattern is needed.  I can send you a draft of the pinafore if you want it, or how to draft it yourself, same with the pantaloons if you can't find that, or any other part you have issues with.  This costume, or a variant thereof, seems to be the go to costume for theater where I am...and the one no one can ever seem to make or find the right pattern for. 

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »
Please be aware that when you stand on your head, your skirt does NOT do that!
Just sayin'.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 16:56:58 PM »
Please be aware that when you stand on your head, your skirt does NOT do that! Just sayin'.  :[

It does if your skirt is tucked into your knicker legs  ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 07:07:44 AM »
I'll try that next time @StitchinTime  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!