The Sewing Place

Sewing for Men contest 15.03. - 30.04.2019

Radiofan

RadioFan Entry 1
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 15:37:15 PM »
I'm not sure the pictures do it justice, but here goes...

Item: Polar fleece jacket (for me)

Pattern: Kwik Sew 4032 Jacket B

Made from "silver" and green polar fleece. All silver is boring and all green is boring, so I have combined them. One thing I realised after making this is that people with green colour-blindness will see this as mostly grey anyway!

Added elastication in sleeves and waist, to keep the warmth in. The pattern misses out some over-edging on the insides, so I have machine over-edged using an over-edging foot and a zig-zag stitch in these areas. Hardest part was the few places where you have to sew over 6-8 layers of fleece (collar seams).

Photo, laid flat

Photo, worn

I have one in the two-blues colour of the original pattern, but this is more original, I think.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 15:13:35 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Sandra

Re: Sewing for Men contest 15.03. - 30.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 15:46:44 PM »
Great work @Radiofan.
Very practical. I should imagine you'll be getting a lot of wear out of it.

Sandra.
xxx

annieeg

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 15:51:11 PM »
Very nice!
Love the colour combination.
Annie

Manuela

Re: RadioFan Entry 1
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 14:13:47 PM »
I'm not sure the pictures do it justice, but here goes...

Item: Polar fleece jacket (for me)

Pattern: Kwik Sew 4032 Jacket B

Made from "silver" and green polar fleece. All silver is boring and all green is boring, so I have combined them. One thing I realised after making this is that people with green colour-blindness will see this as mostly grey anyway!

Added elastication in sleeves and waist, to keep the warmth in. The pattern misses out some over-edging on the insides, so I have machine over-edged using an over-edging foot and a zig-zag stitch in these areas. Hardest part was the few places where you have to sew over 6-8 layers of fleece (collar seams).

Photo, laid flat
Photo, worn

Can't figure out how to embed the images inline. I have one in the two-blues colour of the original pattern, but this is more original, I think.

@Radiofan, I’m afraid I need the pictures in the submission post. I don’t have the time to edit posts and embed images from outside sources. You can do that by using the images tab instead of the link tab.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 14:17:27 PM by Manuela »

Radiofan

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 14:24:57 PM »
@Radiofan, I’m afraid I need the pictures in the submission post. I don’t have the time to edit posts and embed images from outside sources. You can do that by using the images tab instead of the link tab.
I tried using the IMG tag, but couldn't get it to show anything.
Are there instructions anywhere for how to get images from google drive to display embedded?
What is the forum software calls? Maybe I can figure it out from the documentation.

Manuela

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 14:26:36 PM »
I am sorry, but I don’t work with Google Drive, hence I can’t help. Hopefully @Francesca or @Acorn can.

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 15:10:29 PM »
I tried using the IMG tag, but couldn't get it to show anything.
Are there instructions anywhere for how to get images from google drive to display embedded?
What is the forum software calls? Maybe I can figure it out from the documentation.

We use SimpleMachinesForum software.

You can publicly share Drive folders. I believe if you go into the settings for a Drive folder and click "sharing" it will allow you to share with people with a link. You can choose to allow them to "view only" or "edit" (I'd suggest "view" in this case).

That should be available for everyone to see the pics and download them if they want.

Radiofan

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 15:16:15 PM »
We use SimpleMachinesForum software.

You can publicly share Drive folders. I believe if you go into the settings for a Drive folder and click "sharing" it will allow you to share with people with a link. You can choose to allow them to "view only" or "edit" (I'd suggest "view" in this case).

That should be available for everyone to see the pics and download them if they want.
Figured it out, need to get the direct file link. This Youtube instructional video was a big help.

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 15:42:19 PM »
Figured it out, need to get the direct file link. This Youtube instructional video was a big help.

Ah yes, the img tag on this forum will only accept img links (use the web link tag for other links).

Sandra

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
It's been put together and now resembles a (rather eccentric) shirt.  :S

I won't see him for another week or so for a fitting, but it's just a big, oversized baggy thing...the sleeves will only be worn rolled up, so I'm not concerned about the sleeve length.
I'm not too concerned about how wide it is. And it is very wide.

The sides are unfinished. It has quite long side splits which I need to finish off properly. I cut it longer than the original shirt, as he asked, so I expect I may need to shorten it.

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »
He called yesterday and tried it on.  :)

It's absolutely fine...needs to be shortened by 3 inches and the side splits to be closed by 2 inches.

Sorry. No pics. It's not finished.

And yes. It looks better than you might expect it to. He doesn't look too odd in it.  0_0
He has a certain 'look' about him and can carry off a gold snakeskin print shirt....think Billy Connolly...he has a similar windswept-and-interesting look.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

sewmuchmore

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 18:44:25 PM »
@Sandra that is very professional looking sewing, puts my entry to shame

#SEWMUCHMORE entry number 1
Shirt for hubby
Pattern used is Burda 7525
Fabric is Robert Kaufman: Quotes Chambray which was originally bought to make a blouse for me but he spotted it.

This was the first time I have used this pattern and did follow the instructions (sort of). The bib is made and then simply laid onto the shirt and top stitched, leaving on the raw edges of the cutout on the reverse. I did neaten them with a very narrow hem but will think of a better way to put the bib on next time. It did not tell you to interface under the button holes either but I did. I did not have enough fabric to do long sleeves but that wasn't a problem as he prefers short sleeves.
Sorry about photo this was the only way I could get the colour to show.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 19:00:18 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sandra

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
Sandra's Entry.

A shirt, made for a friend.

I cut up his old, favourite shirt to use as a pattern...(it's OK. He said I could.  0_0)

I didn't want to waste some good fabric for a first attempt on this make, so I asked him if he could get some cheap fabric for starters. 
He said he'd got just the stuff for me to use... :S

A fairly straightforward make. The shirt is very big and baggy, so nothing to worry about regarding getting it to fit especially well.
I made it up exactly as I'd cut it out, and only needed to check, and adjust, the length and the length of the side splits.
He plays guitar and likes to wear something a bit different when he's playing somewhere. Not sure I'm going to get an action shot of him in this, so I'll submit the entry now.

Sandra.
xxx

toileandtrouble

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 23:21:00 PM »
I'm not going to finish in time.  The six pieces of waistband are now reduced to two and one is sewn on. the other is waiting for the fly facing and I'm going to be a day short - again.  There was a time at the beginning of the month when I thought I'd get the trousers done, dig out a length of material from stash and quickly (hah!) run up a posh frock as well. At least they will be out of the way tomorrow.  Tonight, just too tired.  Well done those who finished.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

toileandtrouble

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
And still some to do. There are 80 steps in this pattern and last night I had to unpick something that was not quite right. Now only have to catch the waistband lining down by hand, fasten the belt loops and fix the fixings - including a buttonhole. The thick fabric hasn't made it any easier, nor has having the ironing board on the floor below. I think if I did it again, I would use a fine suiting.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m