The Sewing Place

Backpacks inspired by Chanel

Manuela

Backpacks inspired by Chanel
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:59:52 AM »
Sleuthing the Chanel website I came across this little backback. Sans the leather it would be a very nice project for the leftover Linton tweed bits I have.

I ordered grommets and chain handles and made the pattern based on my needs - to fit a 12” MacBook and add an invisible zipper on one side for easy access.

The fabric for the first project is a pink/black/silver boucle from Linton, leftovers from making a dress a few weeks back.

I quilted it and spent a Sunday afternoon putting grommets in. Good thing nobody lives below us, as I did that on the floor - all 14 of them  :devil:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The first chain handles I got were 0,5mm too big, hence I couldn’t use them. Last night another set arrived. It’s without the woven in leather I wanted, but it actually looks better. I hope to find some time before the weekend to finish the backpack.

I used a cotton sateen remnant to line it - nice big pocketses...

The chain is 8mm wide and fits easily through the grommets’ 9mm opening without leaving a gap.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:15:37 AM by Manuela »

PollyWally

Re: Inspired by ...... Chanel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:01:07 AM »
Looking lovely so far, really looking forward to seeing the finished bag.

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
I figured out a way to anchor the chain ends - long live the common keyring  ;)

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
Amazing, as usual, @Manuela  !  It's going to be beautiful x

Manuela

Re: A backpack inspired by ...... Chanel
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 01:05:08 AM »
It’s done and I am already planning No 2.....

A sneak peak into the inside via the side zipper

and a look at the back with the top fully open

This is a great way to use up remnants. No 2 will be blue boucle leftover from a previous project with all kind of denim scraps patched on - inspired by this week’s Great British Sewing Bee episode. There I will also use sew-in interfacing on top of the batting for structure as this boucle is very loosely woven.

No 3 will be black boucle left over from the little black Chanel jacket I made 2 years ago, that will most probably get a leather bottom similar to the original.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »
Lovely! It's much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I had imagined handbag size.

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
@Greybird, it’s 30x35 cm. Having used it today, I’m not 100% happy. I have enough fabric to make another one. 30x30cm, with sew-in interfacing as stabiliser.

Manuela

Re: A backpack inspired by ...... Chanel - nailed it on second attempt
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Here the new and improved version....
I used all the leftovers I still had and shortened the pattern to make it a 30cm x 30cm x 9cm version. I added sew-in interfacing to the whole thing and on top of it heavyweight fusible interfacing at the bottom.

I like it a LOT more and learned a lot from my mistakes. Here is what it looks like now.

and yes, it’s stabilised enough to stand on its own  8)

A got a second one on the go, boucle with some denim patchwork - completely stabilised of course.

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »
They're beautiful, @Manuela !  I love my backpacks, they're great to wear.  Although I only use the one as I'm too lazy to keep moving stuff from bag to bag....

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
@Francesca asked me on Instagram for the template I used, here is is:

You’d need 2 pieces of it, one for the front and one for the lining. I added a foldover facing at the top edge, hence for the lining you’d need to reduce the length as below:

Backpack length (which includes half the depth)
-  top edge facing
+ seam allowances for facing and lining
= lining lengh

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:25:28 AM »
@Francesca learn from my mistakes and stabilise, stabilise and stabilise some more. I used sew-in interfacing and batting at front and back, and ironed a very stiff fusible interfacing onto the bottom (and only there).

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
I have some bag foam that I used when I made another Harris Tweed handbag so I think that should work for the base. Then sturdy standard stabiliser for the sides :)
.... and some batting if you want to quilt it  :)

Manuela

Re: Backpacks inspired by Chanel
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 07:19:47 AM »
I finished the next one - it took a while to find a chain that matches the antique brass grommets. I thought antique brass would go better with the denim scraps, particularly with the pocket. Then I found a scissors brooch I never use....

Celia

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
These are lovely bags, great inspiration. I have some Linton and had not really thought of bags so thank you for the idea. 

Have you put an invisible zip in the denim now too and do you find the zip useful or do you find yourself opening the top?

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
@Celia, as I changed the pattern and made it 5cm shorter, an invisible zip would only be something like 20cm long. Hence, I scrapped the idea when I did the second pink backpack.
I have a bit of black Linton tweed left, thinking about turnig that into a backpack with a leather bottom.