The Sewing Place

Medieval Dress and mens outfit

datcat23

Medieval Dress and mens outfit
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
Hey guys, I need some help. 

Hubby and I have been invited to a themed wedding.  quote from the bride:  We r basing our dress on 12th century Saxon. My son is coming 12th century viking. We r having a handfast ceremony. Reception is a mead hall 12th century feast

So I am looking for patterns for a medieval dress (plus sized) for myself, and medieval mens outfit (regular) for hubby).

Any suggestions would be great.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

annieeg

Re: Medieval Dress and mens outfit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
there's this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254155363756?chn=ps
I made this pattern several years ago (for a fancy dress party) and still have the red brocade "pinafore" dress somewhere.
I made a gold panelled underskirt and white blouse.  It came out really well and was easy to wear.
Annie :)

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
A few pictures

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 14:10:40 PM »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Missie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 15:01:53 PM »
Have a look at this video.  You can see what women wore in 12th century and you also get a peek of a man's costume.

If you google bliaut pattern, you will get quite a few come up and is probably something you can do yourself as it was very simple tailoring in those days, no complicated shapes!

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Roger

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 20:23:58 PM »
Many years ago I found a book for medieval patterns, couldnt buy it at the time and it wasnt relevant to me but i memorised chunks of the patterns :) not massively helpful to you but more to say their are books out there too

the internet is also good for this sort of thing, groups like the society for creative anachronisms (SCA)and other enactment and historical groups have patterns around:)

Have a good wedding :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 22:45:42 PM »

quote from the bride:  We r basing our dress on 12th century Saxon. My son is coming 12th century viking. We r having a handfast ceremony. Reception is a mead hall 12th century feast

Assuming that she is referring to the Saxon era in England (they didn't get to Australia!) the bride needs to brush up on her history!

The Saxon period in England started after the Roman withdrawl in the early 5th century and ended in 1066, which was mid eleventh century.  Also Vikings and Saxons didn't really mix.  The Saxons came to what is now southern England whilst the Vikings from northern Scandinavia came to the north east (and parts of Scotland and Ireland).  Between them were the Angles in eastern England, and the Jutes settled in East Kent and along the south coast.  1066 onwards was Norman, then Plantagenate middle ages.

Of course if she is referring to Saxon as being from the Medieval Duchy of Saxony then 14th century is OK, but they wouldn't have welcomed any Vikings there!

Anglo-Saxon women's fashions 5th-11th centuries
Anglos Saxon mens's fashions
European 12th century fashions
Mediaeval peasant dress
English mediaeval clothes

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

PollyWally

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:27:07 AM »
I can't quite picture a mead hall in Canberra, sounds like a bit of a challenge to come up with two suitable outfits !

Missie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
whilst the Vikings from northern Scandinavia came to the north east (and parts of Scotland and Ireland). 

The Viking reach was far more extensive that that and covered pretty much half of England, including East Anglia, right down to The Thames, I believe, and was part of the Treaty signed by Guthrum and King Alfred, giving Guthrum control of these areas (later known as Danelaw).  The last Viking invasion was 1066 so definitely before the 12th Century.  Maybe her son is just determined to be a Viking!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
If you include the Danes as viking then yes they did, but modern Denmark/Jutland peninsula isn't Northern Scandinavia.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Missie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 14:59:54 PM »
If you include the Danes as viking then yes they did, but modern Denmark/Jutland peninsula isn't Northern Scandinavia.

Interesting, I thought they were all lumped in as one! I watch and loved the Last Kingdom and did loads of reading up on Vikings (and because I keep trying to persuade the kids we need to go to The Jorvik Centre) and everthing seemed to put all the scandinavian invaders under the same umbrella as Vikings!  My new thing learned for the day!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 15:11:04 PM by Missie »

datcat23

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 20:45:28 PM »
Well it just keeps getting better and better. 

Hubby has hinted (inferred, alluded to, and just generally said) that its possible we may need to help his parents sort out a costume as well.

So, I will be making TWO mens outfits (hubby's dad is probably one or two sizes smaller than him) and TWO womens outfits (the MIL is a size or two smaller than me).  This could possibly be an expensive exercise. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

PollyWally

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:50:51 AM »
Have you thought about hiring costumes ?  I guess it would be more expensive but it would save you a lot of work.

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 06:12:51 AM »
Have you thought about hiring costumes ?  I guess it would be more expensive but it would save you a lot of work.

There is no doubt that hiring would save me time, and who knows, the in-laws may decide to do that.  However I have gone down the hiring route once before, and it can be a depressing exercise.  I am short, and wide, and big busted.  Very few costumes cater to my size or body shape, and I would prefer to not go to something dressed as a monk again.  I was heartbroken when that happened.  So regardless of how much I grumble, I would much prefer to make my own. 

Yellowfeather

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
Datcat, what a wonderful idea for a wedding!!  I love it, and who cares if it is or is not historically accurate!  I would imagine that the style of dress didn't change that much anyway.  I hope you find what you are looking for, some of the re-inactment sites have basic patterns and ideas for styles of dress.  I hope you enjoy making the costumes and have a really great time at the wedding.