The Sewing Place

Medieval Dress and mens outfit

datcat23

Re: Medieval Dress and mens outfit
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 23:04:34 PM »
I haven't event looked at Reconstructing History thankfully @DementedFairy .  From what you say, it sounds like a nightmare of a pattern range.

This dress and pattern page is called DragonLore ..... and basically its an data entry page, that gives you the measurements of pieces for the dress.  But, the layout of the information is abysmal, and there are no cohesive sewing instructions at all. 

For the apron dress, I emailed and asked that if there was a front, and two side pieces, where is the back?  Her response .... "at the back".  Turns out, you have to sew the sides to the front, and then join the two sides at the centre back.  And because of this cutting method, you end up with a vertical seam through the centre of one of the sides/gores, which will almost certainly look very unbalanced.  I don't mind the fact that these features exist, but they do need to be properly described. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 21:37:01 PM »
Australia is a fair distance away from Coventry. 

D'oh!  Aye, it is! :|

datcat23

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
So my fabric has started to arrive.  Ironically the MIL's fabric for her underdress was the first to arrive.  It's 100% linen and I have washed and tumble dried it twice so far.  I am wondering if I should wash/dry it again.  WDYT?
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 16:14:22 PM »
Should be well shrunk now!

Kwaaked

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 22:17:19 PM »
I have a square template and cut one out of linen and then wash and dry it on the highest setting then measure it.  Note the new measurement, then wash it again and remeasure.  If it has shrinkage then, I rewash it.  If not, 2 was fine.

If it wasn't measured, it depends.  If it's handkerchief linen, or very light weight, I'd do a third to be safe.  I find that linen weight usually does have a small amount of shrinkage on the third, but usually will stop or be minimal after that.  I also don't wash the garments the same as I do the sample, which helps as well.  Medium weight and heavy seems to not shrink after 2 as much, although it still can.

Dyes sometimes seem to affect it, too, at least what I buy in the States.  Natural and bleached shrinks less then colored and brightly colored shrinks slightly more then all of them.

However, I plan for the top loss of 15% when sewing with linen and use slightly smaller seam allowances then a commercial pattern calls for or if drafting my own, add about 1/8" or 3mm to the pattern.